Topic

Reducing Dew/Condensation inside a Single wall tent?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Reducing Dew/Condensation inside a Single wall tent?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Richard Malpass
    Spectator

@earthling4469a

Locale: Australia, Planet Earth,

Just tried out my new Rainshadow 2 on the back lawn last night and had a heavy amount of Dew/Condensation dripping down on the inside of the tent walls during the night and this morning.
    Any tips on how to reduce the amount of condensation/dew on a cool still night?
    Set the tent up with front beak rolled up and the tent sides set high.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Richard

There are some nights when you will get condensation on anything. Just recently, up near Kosci, we had one very still, clear night when the tent got condensation on both the inside and the outside. When condensation forms on the outside, what hope do you have of keeping the inside dry?

Another night the condensation started to form, then we got a gentle breeze and the tent dried out in 20 – 30 minutes.

Cheers

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Not really, you already have done what you could have done.
    With a single wall tent you see the condensation that is normally hidden by the inner.
    That is the bad bit.
    On the other hand , wiping it down (I use a Chux) a couple of times (before I go to sleep and my pee brake usually) will fix the problem.
    Also keep in mind that if you leave camp early, again a quick wipe down will take you back to close to dry weight whilst with double skin tents most will pack up a wet fly.
    Franco
    Roger was faster than me…

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Some thoughts:

1. First, use the right tool for the task at hand. If you know you will be camping in a place with high humidity — suck it up and bring your double wall tent instead.

2. But you can try to minimize (not eliminate) condensation by:

o Maximizing ventilation.
    o Avoiding damp grounds
    o Using plastic sheeting as groundsheet plus a smaller piece as "mud mat" in your vestibule – again as barrier to the damp earth.

3. Learn to live with condensation when it forms

o make sure nothing touches the walls
    o have a small towel handy to give the ceiling a few wipes when required.

Richard Malpass
    Spectator

@earthling4469a

Thanks for the replies all.

Looks like a wipe down is the best shot at the moment.

Do things like setting up under trees work?
    Any other tips?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I've read that a tree canopy can help reduce condensation underneath — but watch out for widow makers! When in doubt, a few extra condensation wiping is preferable to a branch crashing down at night…

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

The best thing you can do (besides location x3) is opening the doors. BPL has a great article on humidity in single wall tents, and opening the mesh door creates a drastic drop in humidity.

Btw, I have a TarpTent DoubleRainbow and have suffered from condensation issues with it. Opening the door makes a huge difference here in MN.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Do things like setting up under trees work?

Yes, definitely. Just not under gum trees.
    Franco

James Naphas
    BPL Member

@naphas13

Locale: SoCal

"Do things like setting up under trees work?

Yes, definitely. Just not under gum trees.
    Franco"

If I might ask, Franco, why not gum trees? Granted, they can make a mess, but any other reason?

Richard Malpass
    Spectator

@earthling4469a

Quote"If I might ask, Franco, why not gum trees? Granted, they can make a mess, but any other reason?"

I think he may be inferring to the scurge of Drop Bears in Australia.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

This is a typical camping site here in Victoria. The three tents are pretty safe where they are. However under the larger gum trees isn't safe because the can shed large limbs for no reason at any time.
    Franco
    Camping site

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Regarding falling branches.. we call them widowmakers. I've seen cottonwoods do such things.

It's a good thing to take a good look overhead before pitching camp in any forest as a previous storm can loosen things up to be dropped later. I've seen ice storms take the tops off big leaf maples, leaving a jackstraw of branches overhead that were still there the following spring and hard to see in the leaves.

As to condensation, it seems that backyard tests produced more moisture, which I assumed was caused by pitching over grass and in the protection of houses and fences. As with your rain gear, ventilation rules.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Reiterating what Matt said…

I live next door to Matt (Wisconsin) and I also have the DR. The amount of condensation related to screen doors and vestibules is decently predictable.

Screen and vestibule open= almost always no condensation

Screen closed and vestibule open= minimized condensation, but can still form

Screen and vestibule closed= almost always some condensation

But, as others have said (location, breeze, dampness of ground, etc) there are many variables which make hard to predict exactly how to combat it. For me, it is one of those things that I'm learning to manage with experience and practice.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Gum trees drop branches.

When we got home from 9 days in the Alps last week, one of the Sydney Blue Gums next to our house had dropped a 12' branch, about 3" diameter. It fell vertically, and had speared some distance into the soil under the tree. I don't think silnylon would stop it.

Cheers

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Just consider that to be test fuel to test some woodburning stoves.

–B.G.–

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"Screen and vestibule open= almost always no condensation"

Yes, but in warmer climes, humidity almost equates to bugs — lots of bugs — mean ones too… So screen open may not be realistic. Just sayin'…

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

1. ventilation
    2. ventilation
    3. ventilation

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

That may be why single wall TarpTents are so well ventilated, bottom AND top. Henry doesn't miss too many ventilation tricks in his designs.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

>Yes, but in warmer climes, humidity almost equates to bugs — lots of bugs — mean ones too… So screen open may not be realistic. Just sayin'…

Yes, there is the bug factor. Works well on bugless nights, and not so well during bug-filled nights. When is someone going to invent waterproof mesh?

Robert Richey
    BPL Member

@bobr

Locale: San Luis Obispo

Will Rietveld wrote a great article about single wall shelter condensation in 2007.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/single_wall_shelters_condensation_factors_tips.html

James Naphas
    BPL Member

@naphas13

Locale: SoCal

"This is a typical camping site here in Victoria. The three tents are pretty safe where they are. However under the larger gum trees isn't safe because the can shed large limbs for no reason at any time.
    Franco"

Thanks for the explanation. We've got a bunch in the neighborhood, and I've seen branches come down, but only during huge storms. I hadn't realized that they're generally prone to that. I'm mildly allergic to them, so wouldn't site myself under them anyway even if we did see them in the wilderness here. They're not native, so are restricted to suburbia, where they were imported to serve as windbreaks.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools