Topic

“The Magic Eraser”

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) “The Magic Eraser”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Gordon Smith
    BPL Member

@swearingen

Locale: Portland, Oregon

So I was getting ready to sell my Tibetan Ti 1100 pot and it was a bit black and crusty from being used with a Bushbuddy wood stove. I tried to clean it, as I have tried before, with dishwasher liquid and a scotchbrite pad, but once again had very limted success. I asked my wife about it and she handed me this "Magic Eraser" spongy thingy from Mr. Clean. I was pretty skeptical at first, but with a little elbow grease the black and brown gunk began to disappear. In about 20 minutes I had the pot looking almost new again, except for a few stubborn black spots on the bottom. Here's before:

And here's after:

So I tried it on my SP600 mug which has been getting a little blackened from alcohol tests, and it cleaned that up pretty nice too. Not quite as nice, but nice.

Anyway, I'm not usually one to hawk cleaning products but I thought some of you might find this handy for your stubborn pots and mugs. Good luck!

Gordon

Nate Davis
    BPL Member

@knaight

Locale: Western Massachusetts

Gary Boyd

@debiant

Locale: Mid-west

on my pot, and personally thing it adds character ;)

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

Yup, it's magic all right :P.

magic 8 ball

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

That did a pretty good job. And that is one of the reasons I hate to cook with wood. Before backpacking stoves were readily available (many decades ago), I cooked exclusively over a fire. I found that scrubbing the pot with sand and a little water after each meal, did a fabulous job. Still have that cookset, and you can't tell it was ever used over a wood fire.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I guess it's cool, but why would you want to scrub off the black? Unless of course in your case, you want to sell it.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Two reasons:

It can rub off on all over your other gear.

It is extra weight to haul around :)

Jeff Antig

@antig

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Orange hand pumice works good as well (might be cheaper)

http://antig-livingsimply.blogspot.com/2010/01/sooty-pots.html

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools