Topic

Finished Ray “Way” Tent Tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Finished Ray “Way” Tent Tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Tom Holbrook
    BPL Member

@zandar

Locale: Central Coast of California

I just finished sewing the tent tarp and set it up for the first time. I still need a bit more time getting the set up "just right", but all in all it seems to work fine.

Z.Full viewCamper One

Tristan Sprenkle

@tristan570

Looks great! I'm still trying to figure out if I want to make this or a little different design out of cuben fiber. I really liked the ray way quilt kit. I'd definitely like to hear a review after you've tested it out.

Tom Holbrook
    BPL Member

@zandar

I plan to take my two boys out for a quick overnighter, and test the tarp.

I am working on making some line tensioners I found on our Kelty tent, and will make a few to ease the adjustments of the guidelines.

The tarp will get its official test this summer, on our Rae Lakes Loop.

Z.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Having used 2- and 3-person RayWay tarps almost exclusively for 3-season camping since 2005, I can attest they work great. I haven't needed to use them in heavy wind, but lots of times in moderate to heavy rain.

As with any tarp, be sure to correclty orient the tent with respect to the wind if you expect rain…once I didn't and a fine mist kept landing on my head all night. I was too lazy to get up and adjust the tarp since it was our last night out, and I didn't care if my sleeping bag got a little wet around my shoulders.

Tom Holbrook
    BPL Member

@zandar

Elliot,

since you have used these tarps in the field, what type of ground sheet do you use?

We are considering some 3 mil plastic.

I have a copy of "Trail Life", by Ray Jardine, and I have been looking over suggesting pitching setups.

Let me know and tips you have.

Z.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Hi Tom,

Concerning ground sheets:

When we expect bugs I use a RayWay bug tent, the old style, with a silnylon floor. Otherwise I use a large Polycryo ground cloth (I got it from Gossamer Gear, but they don't carry the large any more).

The new style bug tent, recommended on his web site, incorporates a zipper in the entrance. I plan to add the zipper to mine.

I've heard that 3 mil plastic works fine, as does Tyvec house wrap, but I have no experience with either. You probably can find silnylon remnants at online fabric places and just cut a piece to size.

I think "Trail Life" is a fantastic book…I have nothing to add to it!

Good luck.

Mark Ferwerda
    BPL Member

@mnferwerda

Locale: Maryland

I've used one for several years now and I agree that they are great. I've spent some nights in quite windy conditions and have has a few stakes pulled out but it held up fine. Sometimes the wind shifts during the night and the rain starts to come in from the front. I then use the umbrella to block the front and keep me from getting wet. I sewed up a second tarp and put a catenary curve in the ridge (about 1.5") but I lost too much headroom to make it worthwhile.
    Mark

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

Tom, would you happen to have the book that you want to sell?

Cheers
    Mark

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Looks good!

I have a MYOG silnylon tarp without beaks, and I use the plastic from an interior patio door insulation kit cut to about 44" wide for one person. The plastic appears to be polycro.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools