Topic

Alcohol Fuel Bottles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Alcohol Fuel Bottles

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Zack h
    BPL Member

@want2belite

What's everyone using?

I got deluged when i tried to search for this, so if this has been beaten to death elsewhere a link to the thread will be great!

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Locale: Ky
    Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

Small bottle that previously held contact solution. They come in many sizes but I like the 4oz and 8oz ones the best. You can pry the top off pretty easily with a pair of needle nose pliers and it snaps right back on. I've never had one leak on me plus the top makes dispensing the fuel super easy.

Adam

Tim Heckel
    Spectator

@thinair

Locale: 6237' - Manitou Springs

I use an old travel size shampoo bottle with a squirt top for short trips.

Zack h
    BPL Member

@want2belite

Doh! how the heck did i miss that?

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

lightest I could find. marked up with red sharpie and duct tape so that hopefully, nobody drinks it.

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

To repeat a point I made on another thread: (There appear to be two threads going on simultaneously on this topic.)

Caldera systems come with a nice bottle. Truth is, on longer trips, I just pour a bit of Everclear into a small Gatorade bottle. They are light, cheap (just throw out that nauseating Gatorade), and you'll have enough to take an occasional nip of "stove fuel" as a soporific at bedtime.

Stargazer

Troy Childs

@tchilds

I use the fuel bottles from end2end. They're pretty light, durable, and colored so you don't mix them up with the olive oil or vinegar! Big plus for me since I'm a bit of a chef. Couple available sizes was a huge help to me too. The little pour top is nice and they haven't leaked after a 100 foot tumble down a little too steep of a grade. Not sure what else is out there I've only used these and much heavier containers in the past.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

In my kitchen, the dishwasher uses a rinse agent called Cascade Crystal Clear. That comes in a clear plastic bottle, 250ml, 8.45 oz, with a screw cap and small orifice under the cap. Once it is washed out, it is good for alcohol or possibly white gas.

–B.G.–

Trevor Greenwood

@skippy254

Locale: Colorado

Once it is washed out, it is good for alcohol or possibly white gas.

–B.G.–

It wouldn't be safe for white gas.

-T

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I didn't say that it was safe. The white gas does not seem to attack the plastic in the short term. For long term, I generally store white gas in a metal container.

–B.G.–

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Cough medicine bottle from my local pharmacy. They just gave a new one to me free. once I told them what it was for. Ounce marks on the side and all.

Noel Hong

@arborrider08

Locale: SouthShore of Lake Superior

Thinking about Soda pop bottle. Light, strong and free. Notice on the shelf that Coke is available in smaller 8oz bottles. Any reason not to? Alcohol breaks down Al, Heet comes in plastic and others have used Platypus type of bottle.

christopher shive

@cms432

Locale: Along the AT in PA

I use an 8 ounce AquaPod water bottle with two caps. One cap is used to seal the bottle while riding in my pack. The second cap has a small hole in the center that allows for precision pouring – it works similar to pouring from a bottle of contact solution. And it only weighs 0.5360 ounces.

Fuel Bottle

Tristan Sprenkle

@tristan570

I use an old water bottle. It's tinted blue and shaped differently than the gatorade bottles I use for my water so I don't get them mixed up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools