Topic

shoe breathability help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) shoe breathability help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Christian Bernier

@thelastbernier

Hello People,
    For this summer I bought a pair of Oboz Suede Teton shoes because they are known to be very durable. The only problem I have with them is that they don't breathe at all. There are some holes for breathability (is that even a word?) already in the suede, but my feet still get overheated with wool socks on by just sitting indoors. Do you all think it would be okay to drill some holes all the way through the top material to make them more breathable? Also, I'm not sure if this matters or not but on the trail I'll likely be wearing sock liners and thin wool socks.

bj bretzke

@lilorphanbilly

Locale: Montana, MT (Stealth Mode)

Christian,
    I am plagued by sweaty feet and the only relief I have found is with trail runners and perhaps the super light merril type (high top) shoes when traversing scree or sharp limestone. If the trail isn't that rough go with a wimpier shoe. Something that has a better chance of drying quickly. I also pack a pair of superlight scuba shoes for summer creek crossings. The water is frigid, things turn blue and dry shoes and socks are like manna from heaven. Just make sure your feet like all your footwear before racking any miles. One of my pairs of Birkenstocks has logged several hundred miles. But that is the only pair I have ever found that were that comfy on the trail. I am not sure I would want to punch holes in a suede shoe. Ventilation is a lot different than drainage. If you have enough moisture in your shoe because of lack of ventilation you will have serious foot problems before long. Dry feet are happy feet. Wet and cold feet for me pretty much says party over.

If it doesn't feel good, you're doing it wrong…….
    BJ

(It shows good foresight that you tried them in the house, now try them in the environment and by all means wear them outside for a few days. Sometimes you never know.)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools