Topic

What is the biggest backpack?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What is the biggest backpack?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    alastair humphreys
    BPL Member

@alastairhumphreys

Locale: UK

I am looking for a very large backpack – 100 litres or more would be great.

I like the GoLite Quest, but is there something similar but larger?

I have used a Gregory pack (120l), but it was really heavy even before I filled it up!

Many thanks!
    Alastair Humphreys

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

More details would be helpful.

What kind of trip are you looking to use this on?

Where are you planning to use this?

What are you planning to put in it?

Its pretty rare to see people using more than 60L packs on this site, so a little background would help a lot!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

nm

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

D'OH!

alastair humphreys
    BPL Member

@alastairhumphreys

Thanks for the really quick reply! Amazing!

I hope that my trip still counts as travelling light, if only as I don't intend to take anything other than essentials.

I am looking to spend 6 weeks crossing Iceland, by foot and by packraft. I will need packraft, plus all the kit that goes with that (including drysuit). I need camping gear, plus -the killer- several weeks supply of food.

I am also going to be taking a lot of photos/film so that will take up space as well.

See this link for a recent training trip I did in Scotland in the same style: http://vimeo.com/9085238

Al

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I don't know liters, but my most often used pack is 6100 cubic inches. I barely use much of the capacity, but I'm too lazy to dig out my smaller packs from storage. If I were to go for a bigger pack, I'd go for an Astralplane.

joe newton
    BPL Member

@holdfast

Locale: Bergen, Norway

Alastair,

Seems like an awfully big pack! Andy Skurka managed an Iceland traverse with a GoLite Pinnacle:

http://www.andrewskurka.com/IS08/index.php

Although he didn't take a packraft on that particular trip he will be on this one:

http://www.andrewskurka.com/AK10/index.php

Might be worth looking at his gear choices to see if you can lose some volume!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Check out the bigger Granite Gear packs. They aren't as "over engineered / heavy" as Gregory packs.

Lori P
    BPL Member

@lori999

Locale: Central Valley

Have you looked at external frame packs?

You might look at McHale – the packs are custom made, and expensive, but may be able to meet your needs better than the brand name offerings.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

McHale +1

alastair humphreys
    BPL Member

@alastairhumphreys

Thank you all so much for your help – I have never come across an internet community as knowledgeable or helpful as this.

Andrew Skurka's Iceland trek was only 22 days- it's my 35 days of food, plus the raft and drysuit, that is taking up space…

I have downloaded his kit list for Alaska though – he's a bit of a legend!

I'm sensing a vibe from you guys that you disapprove of massive packs! So, if I was to reduce it all quite a lot, is there a better brand than GoLite in the 70litre range?

Many thanks!
    Al

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Granite Gear. Well known for their fit and comfort.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

>Thank you all so much for your help – I have never come across an internet community as knowledgeable or helpful as this.

BPL can be pretty helpful! But we've also been known to turn on our own, ruthlessly attacking without shame or dignity, like a swarm of piranhas…..oh wait….that was my ex…..nevermind. BPL is great!

joe newton
    BPL Member

@holdfast

Locale: Bergen, Norway

Alastair,

This one was a bit of a legend and might be perfect for your kind of trip. I'm not sure it's still in production though but I'm sure someone will be along shortly with the latest news!

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/ula_arctic_dry_pack.html

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

MR has some monsters – the Kodiak is 7400 cubic inches. Not lightweight but the best at weight transfer I've ever used. MR is owned by Dana Gleason, who long ago founded Dana Design.

alastair humphreys
    BPL Member

@alastairhumphreys

This website is amazing!
    To get a grasp of how new I am to this style, have a look at the pack I have used since 1991: http://www.flickr.com/photos/alastairhumphreys/3525171865/in/set-72157614735971301/
    Since then I have cycled 46000 miles round the world and walked across India – and I still have much to learn!
    Al

David Ure

@familyguy

"Yes the artic dry pack is being redesigned and will not be available until spring 2011."

That's really promising, although I could use one….now.

Paul Siegel
    Spectator

@paulsiegel

Locale: Southern Appalachians

Alistar,

I would second the recommendation for Mystery Ranch. If I needed a load hauler it would be from them or Mchale. Of course anything you get from them would not necessarily be light weight (I think my Astralplane weighs in the neighborhood of 8-10 lbs.) although it wouldn't hurt to ask either of those companies if they could whip up something light and voluminous for you.

I loved my Astralplane, when I was carrying 60-90 lbs. I could put pretty much anything into its 7000 c.i. It was as comfortable as a pack can be at that weight. And it is very durable; relatively constant use and the only problems are a little tear on the brain of the pack and the shoulder straps are getting worn down.

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia

Alastair,

I have a Golite Odyssey Large which is 95 liters. I don't know how much weight you will be carrying, but it can comfortably go to a little over 40 lbs, yet it is only 3 lbs. I am actually looking to sell it, so if you are interested, send me a PM.

– Ben

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

I would also recommend McHale. I have one of his packs, custom made, and it's pretty big (I carry a 4×5 camera kit when I hike and backpack). It fits extremely well, and it's lighter than I'd expected, which might be due to the fact that I went for the full Dyneema option.

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

With the weight you will be carrying you may find the Odessey pretty uncomfortable for all its volume. (I tested one for 4 moths.) My best load haulers have been the Bora 95 and Osprey Argon 110.

I know, I can't believe those were mentioned on BPL…

;-)

Jay Bonzani
    BPL Member

@ultrabound

Locale: NE Oregon

I would second Mystery Ranch. I used a few of there packs for military applications and they can swallow up some gear and are pretty much bullet proof. They make a few different designs that seem like they could fit what you want.

Laurence Beck
    BPL Member

@beckla

Locale: Southern California

Allastair,

You have to admit though… the Gregory Whitney is about a 100L backpack and, even though it weighs about 7 lbs empty, it sure is a comfortable pack.

BTW: I have one for sale if you want it. It's a 2004 version.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

If you want a really big pack, see if you can find a Kelty Serac external on eBay. Here is a Whitney 95 next to the mammoth Serac. I can't part with gear and my garage is full of my 40 year collection :)

Big Packs

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools