Topic

Best Quilt/Sleeping Bag Storage Sack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best Quilt/Sleeping Bag Storage Sack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Gordon Towne
    BPL Member

@gordontowne

Locale: New England

I recently acquired a new JRB Sierra Sniveller quilt. So far I'm really happy with it, except for the clear plastic zippered storage bag that came with it. Every time I put it in, I feel like I am compressing the quilt somewhat to get it in there. I am looking for something similar to the Western Mountaineering storage bags that I've seen that really allow the bag plenty of room to loft when stored. Does anyone know where I might be able to find a storage sack like this, or have another suggestion?

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

REI sells big mesh bags for sleeping bags. Otherwise, MYOG. An envelope-style sack would require three seams, a drawstring and a draw cord.

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

All my sleeping bags came in a cotton laundary style bag. They are pretty cheap. I'd try a store like Walmart first or just buy them online. Google Laundary Bag and have fun.

Raymond Estrella

@rayestrella

Locale: Northern Minnesota

I use these:
    http://www.rei.com/product/380196

If the cotton or mesh storage sack that comes with my bags is smaller than the REI versions I swap them out.

Bigger the better.

I use the smaller cotton storage sacks for my quilts or down parkas

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

Ditto on the laundry bags. I believe North Carolina or Virginia (where Jacks R Better is located) requires bedding manufacturers to ship their "bedding" in the plastic storage bags.

Gordon Towne
    BPL Member

@gordontowne

Locale: New England

This explains it. I was trying to figure out why the Jacks wouldn't provide anything larger.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll have to make a run to REI.

jim draucker
    BPL Member

@mtnjim

Locale: Shenandoah Valley VA

Hello all

Check you local dollar store. The Dollar Tree in my area has fine mesh laundry bags that work fine.

Jim

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Cotton laundry sack, available at any "superstore." Even someone with 6 thumbs could easily sew together a storage sack, though. Buy some remnant fabric yardage at a fabric store, or just cut up an old sheet. I prefer MYOG, because I can make them larger than most laundry sacks you can buy. I also happen to prefer all-fabric, b/c it keeps more dust and junk off the bags while in storage.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

I use something like this from Bed Bath and Beyond, slightly bigger than the REI bag. 36"x24" vs 32"x16.5"

I'm with Brad on the fabric over mesh.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools