Topic

Looking for advice on a jacket…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Looking for advice on a jacket…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Dennis Hiorns

@hanson

Locale: Michigan

I'm hoping to get some recommendations for a winter jacket – not necessarily for backpacking, but more of an all winter, going-to-work jacket. I have a Marmot precip that I can wear as an outer layer if necessary, but I would like to get a nice fleece. I want to be able to wear the fleece alone in most conditions (20's-30's and up), then throw on my Marmot Precip when it's colder and/or blustery.

Any suggestions?

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

What size/weight do you want? Used fleece is plentiful and cheap. I like simple 200w Polarfleece for best loft/weight. The windproof fleece products are heavy, sweaty, and don't provide the insulation– might as well have a soft shell. From there you pay for features– pit zips, fabric panels, name brand, etc, etc.

Don't forget vests. I have a Sierra Designs 200w vest that is great under a shell.

For an all-round work/commute jacket, the shelled fleece jackets are a bargain. Columbia, LL Bean, Lands End, and Patagonia have cranked them out for years.

For 300W fleece, the US armed forces ECWS fleece jackets are good. They have fabric reinforcements and are much like the North Face Denali without the outrageous price. You can get new ones for $35-$60.

Watch out when buying used fleece on line. I've gotten a couple dryer-baked wads of polyester along the way.

Another option that might blend into your UL hiking is to get a thin synthetic fill jacket like the MontBell Thermawrap, Patagonia MicroPuff etc.

Dennis Hiorns

@hanson

Thanks for the info. I did purchase the Montbell Thermawrap, but I'm afraid that won't be enough this winter. I was looking at the LL Bean Ascent Fleece ($130), but I don't know if it's really that good, or am I just paying for the name?

What is a "shelled" fleece?

joseph peterson

@sparky

Locale: Southern California

The ECWS fleece is a great jacket, and I use it for cold weather backpacking, as well as around town. It is a big package, but I usually have plenty of room in my G4 for it. I got an XL so it will go over my down shirt. If I remember right I think it weighs like 24oz? Not very lightweight but extremely warm.

It isn't very fashionable though if that is an issue for you.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

A shelled fleece is a jacket with an outer shell of nylon or polyester and a fleece lining. The Columbia Falmouth is still available here and there (http://www.gemplers.com/product/151214/Columbia-Falmouth-II-Fleece-lined-Nylon-Jacket). Patagonia made them an outdoor staple for years, as did Helly Hansen and others. Lands End has made some good versions too (http://www.landsend.com/pp/ClassicSquallJacket~132235_59.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::ZTU&CM_MERCH=IDX_00001__0000000043&origin=index). IMHO, you get all the features of a soft shell with some usable insulation.

Link to the patagonia version: http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/product/mens-shelled-synchilla-fleece-jacket?p=28135-0-078

The idea of paying $100+ for a fleece makes me crazy! Look for the fabric — real Polarfleece, etc. The rest is just marketing hype. Do wash and dry it carefully– NEVER use high heat.

As far as fashion goes, many of the ECWS fleeces don't look a bit different than a $165 North Face Denali. Lands End has a similar 300W fleece on sale for $55 with pit zips and the whole enchilada and they back their stuff up too. http://www.landsend.com/pp/ThermaCheck300Jacket~198956_59.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::PZQ&CM_MERCH=IDX_00001__0000000043&origin=index

Lucas Boyer
    BPL Member

@jhawkwx

Locale: 38.97ËšN, 95.26ËšW

The LLBean no frills 200w(??) I think, is a nice option. I've had one for the better part of 6 years and wear it almost daily in the winter. It washes and dries looking like new every time. The zippers will cash out before the fabric is even worn out. I also have an REI house brand 200w vest that is also very nice. I took my dogs on a walk last night, mid 30's, wind, light rain. I wore my Patagonia Rain Shadow and my vest over a long sleeve cotton tshirt, along w/ a fleece beanie. Toasty and warm. My wife has the Patagonia Synchilla vest and I suffer from envy every time I see it. The extra cost over the REI vest makes it well worth it. Expensive yes, but the quality over the Polartec fabric is obvious. Interestingly, I find the quality of the Polartec on my REI vest to inferior to the Polartec on the LLBEan product. Not sure why? My complaint w/ the LLBEan is that it is not a very athletic fit and works more as a layer than a true insulator. Good luck.

Dennis Hiorns

@hanson

Thanks for your input. I'm going to REI in Chicago this weekend to see what they have. But I am leaning toward the LLBean 200W fleece. I also looked at the Patagonia stuff, and while it seems very nice, I can't see spending three times as much for it. On the other hand, I don't want to regret spending 1/3 as much but not being satisfied.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools