Topic

Any tips for sewing silnylon?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Any tips for sewing silnylon?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Going to make ground sheet from 1.1 oz. silnylon and possibly some stuff sacks with leftover material. Which thread would you recommend? Any tips for hand/machine sewing?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Plenty of sewing threads (sorry) already here – try searching.

Evan Cabodi
    BPL Member

@blackrock

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I personally like threads made by Gutterman. I use the 100% polyester on all my products.

Are you going to seam seal the stitching afterwards? You may try some of the Hydrophobic thread at Thru-hiker to keep the seam from leaking. Another option is to use some of the polyester/cotton thread which is also supposed to help keep the seams from leaking.

As for a needle, I'd use a 90 or 100 size for the 1.1 silnylon. I would also recommend the Schmetz Microtex/Sharp Needle. They have a flat needle which is supposed to pierce a smaller profile of a hole. I used to use the Universal's but after finding these I've never gone back. I use 65's though which are pretty thin, but I sew primarily Momentum-MR 90 fabric.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools