Topic

Suunto Core watch

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews Suunto Core watch

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    john griffith
    BPL Member

@jgriffith-2

Locale: Southeast U.S.

This watch has a lot of features. I don't use them all. There is a log feature which I have never used. For backpacking I mainly use the compass, the altimeter, the timer, the alarm,the thermometer, and the timekeeping aspects of the watch. All of these function well in my opinion. The compass is easily oriented and reasonably accurate, the altimeter is much more accurate than the previous casio I owned. Accurate doesn't properly describe the altimeter. Dependable also applies. I need to reset the Suunto much less frequently due to atmospheric conditions as well as disuse. I can put this watch on for the first time in a month and it (altimeter) is still very close. I love the big numbers, which are easily readable even in the evening. I have the plain LCD version. I had read in forums that the black screen with orange numbers was difficult to read in bright conditions.

The thermometer has been accurate the couple of times I had the opportunity to compare it to another thermometer. As I mostly backpack in the winter, I am always interested in night time and early morning temperatures. Of course, it must be removed from the wrist to achieve an accurate reading. This seems to take 5-10 minutes.

This watch allows me to change the battery myself which is a feature I find very desirable.

My only complaints, and the reason I didn't give this watch a 5, have to do with the alarm and the display. I use the alarm to get going early and the timer for timing during meal prep, as well as treating water. I can't sleep with the watch on if I am using the watch to wake me because I won't hear the alarm in the morning with my hands inside my sleeping bag. Even when using the timer with the watch on my wrist, sometimes I don't hear it. And yes, you wiseacres, my hearing is just fine.

With regard to the display; While I applaud the large numbers for the compass, altimeter, and timekeeper, I think it would be relatively easy to push a button and have the data from the small number display swapped with the large number display. Thus, if it is evening and I'm most concerned with how much time is left on the timer for my dehydrated meal dujour, I can actually read that number easily. At this time, that isn't the case because the secondary numbers are quite small for things like the thermometer, timer, stop watch, and so forth.

I bought this watch within the first year of it's introduction and these issues may have been addressed. Overall and excellent tool.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools