Topic

New Tikka XP Versis EOS R

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Tikka XP Versis EOS R

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

Hey there,
    does anyone have any thoughts of comparison between the brand new Tikka XP model against the Princeton Tec EOS-R. Pro's/Con's of each model? Thanks for your feedback.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

I have the EOS, fantastic headlamp, but modified mine with a better reflector providing a center beam as well as diffuse light (the EOS had too much of a concentrated beam), a better LED providing a more natural colored light (the original was too blue) and a detachable battery compartment with stretch cord for winter so that I could keep the batteries inside a chest pocket in my jacket in cold weather.

I heard that Princeton Tec was coming out with a new EOS to improve the concentrated beam and the bulb, and I'm wondering if that's what the EOS-R is.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I haven't tried the new Tikka XP. Alas, it still doesn't have regulation so the output drops off more quickly than the EOSR and it can't use Lithium batteries.

The EOSR is the improvement EOS. I think beam pattern is more defuse than the original EOS. It's an excellent light overall. When I need a headlamp, it's what I use.

–Mark

Christopher Kayler

@chriskayler

Locale: Outside

I hadn't heard you couldn't use lithium batteries with the Tikka XP. That's a bummer and a deal breaker for me!

I also own the EOS II (EOS-R?). Diffusd spotlight … good for throwing some light down the trail, and at lower powers, useful for camp chores. Regulated, waterproof (instead of resistant in the case of the Tikka XP). I love mine.

Aaron Lastname

@cloudveil9

You can use lithium batteries with the Tikka XP2 and most models within the new line of Petzl headlamps, I believe. They aren't regulated, but you can use lithium batteries with no problem. I've tested it and it even says so in the manual. ;) I prefer unregulated anyway…

Christopher Kayler

@chriskayler

Locale: Outside

Good to know, thanks for the correction!

Alexander Sergheev
    Spectator

@wayfarer

I love my moded EOS, it's so easy to make moding, just replace the led and you will have twice brighter light.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15943

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=162784

and it's regulated – petzl not ;)

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Both are good lights. The EOS has a few features that the Tikka XP doesn't like a regulated output and being completely waterproof (my TikkaXP seems pretty waterproof though, or at least rainproof), but the diffuser on the Tikka XP is one of those great little things you realize is so simple, why doesn't every head lamp have one. It really gives you the best of both worlds (spot and flood). I would go with which ever I found cheaper.

Aaron Lastname

@cloudveil9

That flood is great for general use while the spot is perfect for those 3am "What's that crashing around in the brush" moments. I can verify mine is rain proof as well but I haven't tried scuba diving with it yet. One thing that took the Princeton Tec off my shortlist was the lack of a red LED, I actually use that more than the main LED.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

hey sorry guys, I should have clarified, I meant the new Tikka XP2 which can be run on lithiums. It also have a red task light and a fearture that saves the last lighting setting you used. Still unregulated but looks pretty awesome.
    http://www.petzl.com/us/outdoor/headlamps/compact-headlamps/tikka-xp2

Any thoughts on pro's and con's of Regulated vs Unregulated?

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Can someone help me understand what the Eos-R is? I see no mention of it on the PT Web site (which, admittedly, is seldom up to date), only the original Eos, the Eos II, the Eos Tactical and Eos Bike.

BTW, if they were to make a diffuser option for the Tactical's colored lenses it would compete more directly with the Tikka XP. It's hard to overstate how useful that feature is in the field.

Thanks,

Rick

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Thanks for the correction on the Tikka XP^2 taking lithium. I looked at the battery compatibility PDF and failed to notice that the "no lithium" was for the original XP, not the new model. The XP^2 looks quite interesting. If it was regulated I was be super tempted even though I have more lights that I need at this point.

On the regulated -vs- unregulated. I am a big fan of regulated. Lights with really good regulation (the EOSR is only so/so) are able to maintain something like >=80% of their initial output level for the vast majority of the battery's life. So this means that the light can maintain a much higher brightness at the cost of total runtime. I typically want two brightness: REALLY BRIGHT for way finding, and the really low for camp chores. Flashlights without regulation have trouble being REALLY BRIGHT after just a few hours of use where the regulated lights can do this for most of the batteries lifetime. Graphs that plot light output -vs- runtime illustrate this well.

I *believe* the differences between the EOS, EOS-R, and EOSII are as follows (this is from memory):

Bulb: the EOS-R and EOSII use a high efficiency LED (twice as bright as the EOS at the same power draw).

Reflector/Lens: EOS and EOSII I believe have a clear lens with a spot reflector providing a long through but little flood. The EOSR has a lens which spreads the light a bit, providing a good amount of spill while preserve much of the throw from the original.

Levels/Modes: The EOS/EOS-R have three levels + stobe. My memory is that the EOSII is more industrial in nature with two brightnesses and no strobe.

–Mark

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

hey Rick,
    the EOS R is the current EOS model on the PT website. The R stands for Rebel (led brand) but on the site they call is a maxbright.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Thanks Jonathan, that clears it up. Evolution–it's a good thing :-)

Cheers,

Rick

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

"BTW, if they were to make a diffuser option for the Tactical's colored lenses it would compete more directly with the Tikka XP. It's hard to overstate how useful that feature is in the field."

Rick, are you referring to the colored lenses or the diffuser being so useful in the field? Because if you mean the diffuser, a) the EOS-R diffusing lens should provide plenty of diffuse light – it was designed to improve upon the bright center beam/lack of diffuse throw of the original EOS b) the original EOS can be modified with an inexpensive replacement reflector which provides both bright center spot and flood ring, as I did c) and if that's not enough diffusing for you, you can make a flip up or removable diffuser with a little bit of light diffusing plastic and a few velcro strips you can get from Home Depot or Ace.

Also, for anyone that has the original EOS, you can just switch out the original LED for a brighter LED to give you the brightness available on the EOS-R.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Mark thanks for the helpful info on the EOS-R and EOS-II.

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

The diffusers on my Petzl Tikka XP and Myo XP are very useful, especially for reading or camp chores. The way they are integrated into the device is nice. I think it's better integrated than the simple MYOG approaches I've seen.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Walter – agree that anything integrated is usually going to be a bit easier and have a lower risk of getting lost. However:

1) Have you tried an EOS-R or modified EOS with a reflector that provides simultaneous center beam plus wide throw? On low it's great for camp chores.

2) +1 on Mark: "I am a big fan of regulated. Lights with really good regulation (the EOSR is only so/so) are able to maintain something like >=80% of their initial output level for the vast majority of the battery's life. So this means that the light can maintain a much higher brightness at the cost of total runtime. I typically want two brightness: REALLY BRIGHT for way finding, and the really low for camp chores."

Lack of regulation on the Petzl was an immediate deal breaker for me.

Ideal 3 season headlamp for me = EOS-R with swappable colored lenses in a dial, or stored inside the body of the headlamp.

For 4 season, addition of a remote battery pack and coiled wire that can be plugged into the headlamp and can be kept inside your jacket – like that which I rigged for my EOS.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Hi EJ,

I was thinking of the XP diffuser, not PT's colored lenses. Has PT redesigned the Eos collimator to spread the beam further? I can't tell from their photos that anything is different. I'll play with one the next time I'm in the store to see what might have changed.

http://www.princetontec.com/?q=node/65

A diffuser lens option to the Eos Tactical could easily duplicate the XP diffuser. At present PT only offers red, green and blue clear lenses, but a clear diffuser would be a simple addition.

http://www.princetontec.com/?q=node/61

Cheers,

Rick

p.s. I suspect the Tikka 2 XP with lithium and NiMH batteries will have pretty flat output response. That and the auxiliary red LED and the mode memory will make it a tough package to beat.

"Rick, are you referring to the colored lenses or the diffuser being so useful in the field? Because if you mean the diffuser, a) the EOS-R diffusing lens should provide plenty of diffuse light – it was designed to improve upon the bright center beam/lack of diffuse throw of the original EOS…"

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Hey EJ,
    agreed on the power curve being better than a non-regulated light but there is one downside to regulated lights I thought I would share. Last winter on a night time trail run with a regulated fenix flashlight the light literally just died on me. Instead of a slow fade the light was at a high level of brightness then a quick fade and then all of the sudden I was in the dark. At first I thought the light had died on me but when I got home and put in a new battery it started right back up. So as I learned there are pro's and con's to each regulated and non-regulated. Granted there could have been somthing wrong with the battery but one experience like that will teach you to bring a backup light if you are doing any distance night hiking.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

I am curious….has anyone actually bought the new Tikka XP 2?

Would love to hear from actually owners/users of this new headlight, so we can have a perspective on how it performs in the field or in the dark at someone's house.

-Tony

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

I do not have the XP, but I had to replace my old Tikka+ with the new Tikka 2 after a running incident where it hit the pavement pretty hard the other day. The new Tikka 2 is pretty sweet. Close to the same design as the old Tikka's but the battery compartment is easier to open up. Other than that it is a whole lot brighter. Took it out for one night time run and it was all I needed. Think the packaging said it was around 40 lumens and its performance seems to back it up so far. Along with the lithium batteries it now accepts I am thinking one set should last me all winter for my nightly road and trail runs.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Jonathan,

Thanks for the feed back.

I have the older Tikka Plus with the 4 leds and I think it puts out 40 lumens.

Having recently been caught in a rainstorm at night, moving my tent to higher ground to escape the water, I really found that my headlight could have been brighter to make the job easier.

The XP is intriguing because for the same weight as what I have now, I can pick up 60 lumens for something like 80 hrs.

The Fenix AAA or AA flashlights could have been just as bright, if not brighter, but had a lot less burn time.

Anyway, thank you for providing the details and improvements on your Tikka 2.

I especially am glad to hear that you are getting enough light out of it to hike/run at night, which I deem is an important ability to have….in case of emergencies.

-Tony

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I have the EOS TACTICAL headlamp (and a Quad).

The Tactial has three removable filters, red, green and blue. I got it for the night vision saving red filter. I keep the red filter in the up position when not using it to protect the lens.

I've found the EOS Tactical has enough diffusion so it must be a newer version reflector.

Eric

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

>> I got it for the night vision saving red filter.

As an aside, you know…green filters protect your night vision too. And the cool thing is that most wildlife doesn't mind/notice green light. This makes for some cool night hikes. It's nice to watch animals thinking that, for once, they can't see you but you can see them.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools