Topic

WM Versalite Super – Stealth Color?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) WM Versalite Super – Stealth Color?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Coin Page
    BPL Member

@page0018

Locale: Southeastern USA

After reading these forums for years, I am ready to buy a new bag. WM Versalite Super seems near perfect, but I would like opinions of its color. Is it a bright unnatural color, or a "stealth" color? Would a passer by notice it through brush and trees?

The WM website shows it as a gray green, that looks good. Is that an accurate representation of its color?

No dealer near me that I know of keeps it in stock for a look (Central NC).

Andrew Richardson

@arichardson6

Locale: North East

I used to be big about getting everything in stealth colors. I have only spent one or two nights at a shelter so I stealth camp A LOT. Now I realize though that color doesn't really make a difference as much as I thought. Obviously if a tent is bright yellow or orange or something and it's in a meadow or set against a rock outcrop, then yeah. I sleep in the forest though and use a bivy or a tarp (or both) and I don't worry anymore.

My bivy is yellow eVent and I don't think anyone ever notices it. It is low to the ground and the fact of the matter is that people don't pay attention. I have stood off trail and watched people pass 20 feet from me with maybe 1 out of 15 noticing I was there.

So basically I wouldn't worry about the color of your sleeping bag, but if you do, then yeah, WM's site shows just what the color is. It might be a bit shinier than the pics really show though.

Edit: When I say that I stood 20ft off trail I don't mean I was setup for sleeping there. I always sleep around 75 paces off the trail. For me that is around 200 ft.

Robert Carver
    BPL Member

@rcarver

Locale: Southeast TN

The new one is a slight olive green color. It is very similar to the color of the Mountain Hardwear Waypoint tents.

Coin Page
    BPL Member

@page0018

Thanks.

What is the Inside color? Looks like black at WM, but one web site shows gray.

Robert Carver
    BPL Member

@rcarver

It is black on the inside and the bottom of the bag as well.I just got mine Friday. I can't wait for it to get cold enough that I can use it.

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Locale: Midwest

I have the Versalite in the bright Lime Green color and like it. I don't know if I'd consider it a stealthy color, but it isn't too overly bold either.

Coin Page
    BPL Member

@page0018

Thanks Robert. So let me see if I have this right. The bottom of the outside and all of the inside are black? Only the top of the outside is green? So 3/4 of the bag covering is black. Only 1/4 is colored.

Thanks Michael. Does the "lime green" you describe match the color of the Versalite picture on the WM website?

Thanks Andrew. Much of my camping now is close to civilization. Even though I'm on public land, I don't want to be of concern to private residents near me, if I can help it; nor be noticed by land managers. Your probably right, that it doesn't make that much difference, but I figure: no noise, no smoke, low visibility, all help.

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Locale: Midwest

My Versalite is a 2007 model, but I'm guessing the color has not been changed since then. The color shown on the WM website does not show the true color, at least not in comparison to my bag. The color is actually much brighter, Bright Lime Green would best describe the color. The color they show is more like a Sage Green, which it is not.

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

I own a 2009 Versalite and would say the WM website is pretty spot on with mine.

Robert Carver
    BPL Member

@rcarver

WM changed the color of the Versalite starting this year to the olive green from the teal green.

It is really a nice color.

Coin Page
    BPL Member

@page0018

OK, I guess I'll go for it. Thanks all.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools