Topic

Titanuium Goat Ptarmigan Bivy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews Titanuium Goat Ptarmigan Bivy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Pedro Arvy
    BPL Member

@pedroarvy

Locale: Melbourne

– I have the version with the mesh/fabric hood and use the bivy with the mesh over my face 99% of the time. This is much more comfortable and less claustrophobic than momentum fabric over my face.

– I rarely suspend the mesh over my face any more. I just let it sit on my face whilst wearing a beanie.

– Lightweight

Dislikes

– The bivvies cut is narrower than the BPL bivy Vapr Quantum Bivy Sack which was not a problem until I started using a NeoAir medium (I am 5'10"). The width of the NeoAir means a portion of the lowest part of the heavily tapered bivy sack does not get used and in addition, down gets quite compressed if I lie straight. I sleep in a Nunatak quilt with 2” loft

Bottom Line

Love the flexibility of the mesh hood, superior to the BPL bivy in this respect but it can't be used with a NeoAir in its current dimensions. The new Raven Bivy may be the solution to this problem.

I rate it a 5 as the bivy was not designed with the NeoAir in mind.

Make the bottom in Cuben and it gets a 6!

Jonathan DeYoung

@jdeyoung81

Locale: New England

I have used the Ptarmigan Bivy for each of my overnighters for the past 2 years and have had few issues with it.

It is really light and with the addition of the bug netting in it I have not had to worry about the creepy crawlers on the ground at night while still being able to see around.

My only complaints are that I wish it was about 6 inches longer and could easily accommodate a full length foam pad easily. I am thinking of cutting the sides off my 3/4 foam pad for an easier fit and this might solve the needing it longer issue while saving some ounces off the pad :)

For the record i am about 5'10" and 175 so you can get an idea of the fit of this bivy.

I will update my review again when i try out the pad modification!

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

I have used the bivy sack extensively, especially while thru-hiking the PCT. It works. The long length is great for 6'3'', and the width is great. I have the full netting option and used it often for bug protection. For the PCT a full bug bivy would have been a slightly better option.

Frank Steele

@knarfster

Locale: Arizona

Are you kidding me? This Bivy does it all! For $45 less than the next best made bag, which doesn't have the option of an all net AND all nylon hood. Plus I only had to wait 2 days, not 2 months to get it too.

I am a big dude (no not tall, wide @ 5' 7" and 220-225 lbs).

This bivy fits my Big Agnes 60×20 mummy Clearview pad (11 oz) my Mont-Bell UL Super Stretch Down Hugger #2 (27.7 oz, You would think with all this fat I wouldn't be such a cold sleeper) and me (approx 3560 oz, LOL). The sleeping bag doesn't get compressed, I can roll around without coming off the pad! and the buggies can't get me. Not to mention looking at the stars! (Unless I am under my Oware Cattarp)

I have the full mesh option and the bivy weighs in at 7.3 oz with the stuff sack, on my Pelouze digital scale.

Thanks TI Goat!

James Lantz
    BPL Member

@jameslantz

Locale: North Georgia

This is a well made, economical, & versatile bivy. However, when used with a 72" NeoAir pad it is very tight in the foot area to the point of being very uncomfortable. I am 6'1", 210 lbs, size 11 feet, & have the size long. My daughter is able to use the Ptarmigan with a short NeoAir pad without problem. I bought the MLD Superlite bivy which has a very large footbox & for me is very comfortable.
    The point is, the Ptarmigan is fine with a short inflatable pad or a closed cell foam pad but not with a full length inflatable pad (unless you have very little feet!)

JAMES CALL
    BPL Member

@conductor

Locale: Sierra Nevada

I absolutely love this bivy! I've used it for a 150 mile section hike and several over-nighters in 2009 and pretty much lived out of it for over 2100 miles on the PCT this last summer.
    The only damage so far is a 2mm hole in the side of the bath tub where a piece of ignited sulfer from a match flew backwards as I was lighting my stove.

I have the full mosquito net option and have used every configuration from just a breathing hole to no hood at all. I'm 6'2" with a large build. I use a 1/4" torso length pad and a Jacks R Better Hudson River (20 degree) quilt. I find that I have plenty of room for all of my clothes and food bag (pillow) in the hood.

This bivy breathes super well. I only had a few instances of condensation, usually when temperatures dip below freezing and mostly in the footbox. I'm not aware of it, however, until I wake up and find that the quilt is frozen to the bivy. The bivy also shakes clean very easily and dries super fast.
    Like as was stated above, I don't tie up the hood or netting but just let it rest on my face. This can bring the buzzing of mossies a little close to my ears, but they don't bite through the netting. Not even the vampires of Central Oregon!

Joseph Scalia

@jscalia

Locale: NorthEast

Packs small
    Lightwt
    durable
    Love the side entry zipper and the full net hood.
    Very good price

Will usually get some wettness at the foot with big drops in temperature. Enough to wet my pad but not enough to penetrate the sleeping bag.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools