Topic

aluminum can for wood hobo stove?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear aluminum can for wood hobo stove?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I was wondering if anyone has seen a good aluminum can out there to use for a hobo wood burning stove. I have a pint steel one that I use with my 24oz aluminum can but it is quite big and heavy for the 12oz aluminum can I have. Thanks.

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

Aluminium will melt. I use an Alu can for the outer jacket of a double wall stove but the firebox (inner) gets too hot.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Does anyone know where to get a thin sheet of titanium other than titanium goat then?

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

or if you want a small wood gas stove, you can build one out of a 12oz Heineken can and a sardine can. Burns about 20 minutes.

I have not melted one yet, but the hot embers are contained in the sardine can. Downside is you need a starter and a pot stand or dig a hole and use a grate.

Jim Yancey

@jimyancey

Locale: Missouri

Titanium Joe (titaniumjoe.com)

No foil, but fairly thin sheet titanium. Worth a look!

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Let me correct the first statement. I have a quart steel paint can for my 24oz Heineken can. I was using a pint steel paint can for my pop can pot. I would like to find something that is of similar size to the pint can but that will weigh less. Thanks.

As for Titanium Joe, I looked and then looked away due to my budget.

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

0.005 titanium from Titanium Goat. http://titaniumgoat.com

also see: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=18056

for more photos of stove built of this material operating, and collapsed for carrying. I've been using since January and would change very little.ready to cook

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools