Topic

Nifty loose leaf tea infuser

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Nifty loose leaf tea infuser

Viewing 24 posts - 26 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Michael Cockrell

@cal-ee-for-nia

Locale: Central Valley, Lodi-Stockton, CA

Now, when you start discussing tea brew methods . . . them's fightn words!!!!!

I am mostly a strong tea lover. But there are several green or blends I like. Nothing like bouncing down the trail after a "cuppa" Lapsang!

The only place I can walk into and ask for tea, done correctly, is my local Peets Coffee & tea. If . . . I get a new server who dares give it to me in one of these darn paper cups I about choke! You DO NOT serve tea in a paper cup. Leave those for the darn coffee drinkers!! I even made a chart I carry that gives the water temp, boil time, steep time for tea types/names.

Now my local Peets only had a couple of staff who enjoyed teas, and they started doing "tastings" with the other staff to teach them covered steeping times for the range to green-blacks, water temps, "bring the warm pot to the kettle", they all started to really get hooked!

On the road or trail, or in my office, I use the "#3 T-Sac" tea filters. They sell there so I can pour my leaves in and steep. They have a good range of product, and keep them in dark.

Only other place in my area is a fine kitchen store called "Kellers" in Modesto, CA.

As for favorite types?

Go into my Peets' and yell "Give me some Ancient Tree!" or "Black Current!", and the staff will close their eyes and visualize sipping a cuppa!

Green:
    – Green Peony

Blends:
    – Black Current
    – Pride of the Port
    – Masala Chai

Rare/Premium:
    – Ancient Trees Organic Pu-erh

Makes Your hair stand up blacks:
    – Scottish Breakfast (blend, some Lapsang)
    – Lapsang Souchong (strong smoky)

For Iced Tea:
    – Summer House Iced Tea
    – Black Current

Iouri Goussev

@elendal

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

This thread is awesome!

Of course for those of us not effeminate, brutish or brittish enough for Jade Oolong, Powdered Sencha, or Ceylon, Yerba Mate is tops on the trail. Genseng is a close refined second, with carefully brewed freshly harvested wintergreen or sassafras an occasional trail delicacy for certain parts of the Eastern US:
    Wintergreen

Has anyone used the Snow peak French press for steeping on the trail?

Gordon Smith
    BPL Member

@swearingen

Locale: Portland, Oregon

It may be blasphemy to this group, but here's backcountry caffeine delivery distilled to perfection:

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I was first introduced to Darjeeling Black Tea on my first trek in Nepal over 25 years ago, and I've stayed with it ever since.

Often, the Sherpa people drink it with a bit of yak butter and a pinch of salt.

–B.G.–

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Lol…and super duper cheap at Costco!

Michael Cockrell

@cal-ee-for-nia

Starbucks VIA is good! Even to this tea sipper!

The other instant Mt. Hagen is not found on West Coast, where as Starbucks is on every corner.

TIPS from a U.K. family:

Brewing: Never over boil (deletes the oxygen out of the water)

Steeping: longer is not better for strength! Use more tea/coffee for required time, otherwise you end up with too much tanin/sour tasting brew!

Type:
    – Use full leaf teas. Like coffee, you can get coffee in a single serve bag also, but not highest quality.
    -Numi tea uses full leaf, not parts.

Juston Taul

@junction

Locale: Atlanta, GA

Those of us with more discerning taste prefer not to sip astringent swill.

LOL <– I'm not just typing that. I really am laughing out loud.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Good one is rooibos (African Red Bush) tea*

Other favorites:
    Yerba Mate*
    Trader Joe Chamomile tea

* good with milk – when I drink at home I add Silk Light Vanilla "milk"

but both good without milk too

j lan

@justaddfuel

Locale: MN

Rooibos chai is my favorite!

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

My son brought me two good teas from Vital Tea Leaf (San Fran)

Angel green tea
    Wild pu-erh

Michael Cockrell

@cal-ee-for-nia

There is (was) a tea store in China Town that had the greatest selection of tea. 3-walls, and center floor options.

Years ago, I bought this "Kings Tea" ($20 an ounce), and was it wonderful! Next time in town, I'm going down there to see if they are still in business.

Rooibos (African Red Bush) is a nice herbal tea! My favorite, just before Moroccan Mint.

Mike –

@roygbiv

Long lasting, go anywhere 'gongfu' style 'teapot': Tuffy tea steeper + L200 Snow Peak "Stacking Mug" Double Wall Titanium(7.0 fl oz, 1.8 oz)

The double wall titanium keeps the tea hot but not the cup! The steam/liquid creates a complete liquid air tight seal while tea is brewing; no heat is lost while brewing in very cold temps! It took a few days for the new silicon smell/flavors to dissipate for the Tuffy tea steeper; initially my taste buds were repulsed and this teapot idea was a failure. But then, wait, the silicone taste went away and only the delicious raw green pu'erh taste remained!

Total cost, minus shipping: ~$25

What do you think?

Tuffy tea steeper + L200 Snow Peak "Stacking Mug" Double Wall Titanium(7.0 fl oz, 1.8 oz) + Pu'erh

Tuffy tea steeper + L200 Snow Peak "Stacking Mug" Double Wall Titanium(7.0 fl oz, 1.8 oz) + Pu'erh

Ryan Elsey

@paintballswimguy

Locale: Kansas City

http://www.amazon.com/New-Age-Strainer-Mesh-Ball/dp/B000WSE62S/ref=pd_sim_k_7

This is my favorite. Very small and light, works great.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@sponge

Locale: PNW

That is brilliant! I'm going to try the snowpeak cup/silicone infuser route…

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Bet I could guess where the interest came from ;)

Still working out the on-trail brewing, but for the drinking, I use this:
    http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/store/detail.aspx?ID=61

without the sleeve or outer cap. I made a fun foam cozy for it that works surprisingly well. I realllly like that Tuffy/Snowpeak setup, though.

Peter Fogel
    Spectator

@pgfogel

Locale: Western Slope, Colorado

The taking of tea is considered, by many to be an all but, and by a few it actually is, sacred action. To contaminate this process with a silicone infuser that is so impure as to actually leave an unpleasant taste in ones mouth is to this humble observer……….. incomprehensible!

ALL THINGS CONSIDERED………IS AN OUNCE OR TWO A REASONABLE PRICE TO PAY HERE?

Karple T
    BPL Member

@ctracyverizon

Locale: Mid-Alantic

I have used these for tea and coffee. put hot water and caffeine providing substance in cup … done!

Centuries ago the Guarani Indians of Paraguay received bombillas from the Incas in exchange for sharing their knowledge of herbal medicine.

If the link does not work type "bombilla" into Google image search and you'll see all different types and shapes.

http://www.google.com/images?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=s&hl=en&q=Bombilla%20Tea%20Strainer&um=1&biw=1658&bih=857&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=fi

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California

In fact, mate is a perfect hot beverage for camping and is what the bombilla is made for. Mate has some caffeine and lots of magnesium, potassium to help with muscle cramps.

Mike –

@roygbiv

I only mention the silicon taste in the beginning to make any other user aware that it did take 2-3 days for the taste to go away. Like myself, I did not want them to be discouraged.

There has been concern of the silicon as 'impure'. However, it is food grade silicone and from my understanding this is completely safe. I did quite a bit of reading from various sources(including wikipedia, scientific trial data, etc.) regarding food grade silicone; as a mindful person, I am very concerned. But, it appears very innate and safe.

Medical grade silicone has been impregnated into the body for life for many years, needless to mention breast implants.

As for as your concern as to the cost of an extra ounce, that is for you to decide while considering your priorities. I do more 'ultra-light' nomadic living. For me, this is much more feasible than shlepping a Yixing teapot, porcelain teapot, or a gaiwan for my daily tea.

Anyways, all that aside, good luck finding a L200 double titanium mug from Snow Peak. I purchased the last in stock from an outfit in San Antonio online and the only other place I found them were on overseas websites.

Good luck! Thanks for allowing me to share this little combination with you.

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Locale: Georgia, USA

There’s been talk lately of “missing the old BPL.” This thread, re-discovered via a Google search, should stir up nostalgia in everyone. It’s wonderfully entertaining, both silly and informative.

It epitomizes (or parodies?) the wacky, wonderful enthusiasm and, dare I say it, obsession, of this group.

two pints
    Spectator

@madgoat

Locale: Ohio

Continuing the zombie thread resurection:  ;-)

I like to use these paper tea filters.  $5 for 100.  This manufacturer is just one of many that make these things (or source them to be made for them).  The bag is large enough that your precious full leaf varietal of choice can move around while brewing, and have space to properly give off it’s essence.  I have never noticed any flavor imparted by these paper filters.

I typically will take one or two of these per day of my trip, fill them each with the proper amount of tea leaves, and throw them in a ziploc.  No dealing with measuring tea amount in camp.  (and if you are a major tea snob, this process involves a scale.)  All ready to go.  Easy to deal with the trash (just milk the bag and throw it in your trash bag), and easy to do a second or third brew if you brought your Ti Kuan Yin and want to gain the maximum flavor and utility from your expensive leaves.  (I highly recommend oolong teas for backpacking since you can get multiple brews off of the same leaves, and the flavor only gets better each brew.)

To me, it is a revelation how good tea can taste when brewed using fresh mountain spring water.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

I recently bought three Finum brand tea infusers for home use. Certainly light enough for me to use on trips (though if its just an overnight or two I’ll just take teabags for simplicity). I’m super impressed with the quality. The mesh is super fine. So easy to clean out too. They are pretty light, prob under an ounce but I haven’t thought to weigh them yet. MADE IN GERMANY…often makes all the difference ;-)

Bud Chapman
    BPL Member

@budman5

Locale: Alaska

It’s really a personal thing. I have not found anything I like better than 2 Red Rose bags brewed in one qt. 180 F water for 10 minutes.

Viewing 24 posts - 26 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools