Topic

Trail Runners for Backpacking – Fit (New Balance MT700)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Trail Runners for Backpacking – Fit (New Balance MT700)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    a tom

@amt230

First time poster here and general newbie to more serious hiking/backpacking. After a decent amount of research and consideration of personal preferences, I've decided I fall on the trail runners side of the runners vs. boots debate.

I've found lots of info on proper fit for boots, but am curious if the rule are a little different for trail runners. I am currently deciding between two models: The Brooks Cascadian 4 and the New Balance MT700.
    MT700/Cascadian
    I have a 10.5 in both, which is my true size. The Cascadians feel great, snug but not tight, and the flexibility of the shoe box leaves me unconcerned about any closeness of my toes to the front. However, some of the better pro-boot arguments did sink in, and I like the feel of the MT700s, which have a stronger front and upper and provide more structured support. But, when my toes come close to the front on those, I'm more worried about the hard shell on the front wrecking havoc on my toes after a long day.

It's my general understanding that trail runners as opposed to hiking boots should fit more snug, because of their flexibility. But, the MT700s seem a little more like a boot than a runner, and I am worried about their fit. I ordered a half size up to try on, but am worried that they'll be too big and I'll lose all that support.

If anyone has experience with either of these runners, in particular the MT700s, I'd appreciate your incite on proper fit.

Thanks!

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Locale: Midwest

No exp.with the models you mention, but as for fit, I use Montrail Hurricane Ridge T.R. and I can insert my index finger behind my barefoot heal. Never had a blister or hot spot, with aprrox. 300+ ,miles on them. Although, these are older 2006 models, before they went and changed them. I use SmartWool Hydrenaline Socks along with REI P.P.linner socks.

Hiker 816
    BPL Member

@hiker816

Locale: Denver

I've got the same model Brooks Cascadia 4 that you've pictured above. It's a great shoe. Reasonably light and very responsive. It also breathes really well. The only downside is that the top lace digs into the top of my foot when I cinch it down to lock my heel back and down. Of course, you may not like to lock the heel down like that — I just do it because it helps me with blister prevention. I have no experience with those NB, but I would lean toward the Brooks because I expect they'd be lighter and quicker. The NB look hot and clunky. You might also want to consider the La Sportiva Wildcat. That shoe is my favorite right now, and it is a little bit (but not a lot) more supportive than the brooks. Be careful of any shoes that feel snug initially, though. When your feet swell after a day of hiking, they might be too tight. I get my shoes a little loose and tighten down the heel to keep my foot from moving around. Then I can loosen the laces as my foot swells.

William Puckett

@beep

Locale: Land of 11, 842 lakes

Everyone has a favorite. I've been trying different brands of trail shoes for my size 13/14 dogs (high arches/neutral gait/over 200 lbs weight). I've used Keen Voyageur, Montrail Hardrock low, Montrail Namche, Merrill Ventilator, Inov8 Roclite 305 and now my favorite over all the above…Asics Trabuco WR.

I've learned to size up for more toe room. Feet do swell later in the day. Hiking seems to exaggerate this for me. I also prefer using Superfeet insoles for longer hikes.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools