Topic

REI Flash durability

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) REI Flash durability

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Scott McGhee

@sbmcghee

Locale: Midwest

I'm in the market for a new light pack and have narrowed it down to the REI Flash 50 or GG Alpine Vapor. These are both only 2 lbs 10 oz and carry 50L and 59L, respectively. I like the Alpine Vapor but it's got a heavier price tag than the Flash 50. The Flash 50 is my second choice in packs. I usually stick to the trails but do go bushwhacking every so often to find a nice camp site. The Alpine Vapor uses 240D and 420D nylon so I know it can handle the abuse. However, I'm unsure if the Flash 50 can. It uses 140D nylon and I've seen a couple of people talk about the thinness of the material and questioning the durability of the Flash 50. These reviews weren't based on experience but perception since the reviewers hadn't put their packs through much.

So I'm wondering if anybody has a REI Flash that they've put through the paces and give it a thumbs up or a thumbs down for durability.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

I have the older REI Flash daypack and the REI Jet UL 35 pack, both made out of 140D, and I've never been particularly concerned about durability. Neither has been treated gently. Last summer and winter I used a North Face pack that was made in part of 70D and despite the fact that I mistreated it I only managed to make one small tear in the extension collar, likely caused by some deadmen I was carrying for snow camping.

The worst that will likely happen is you'll make a small tear (which the ripstop will keep small) and you'll patch it. Cool, then your pack has some character. Chicks dig scars.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools