Topic

RailRiders vs ExOfficio

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) RailRiders vs ExOfficio

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

I want to buy an outfit for hot and humid weather from one of these companies and I'm having a real hard time deciding which to go with. Price is about the same and so is weight. I guess it boils down to fuction: Which is more breathable? Which will keep me cooler?
    I want to go with either the RR Madison River L/S Shirt with the RR Eco-mesh pants OR the Exofficio Air Strip Lite L/S Shirt with the Exofficio Air Strip pants. Nick has already been a great help to me regarding this subject, but I still can't decide and I can't find many reviews online. I can't afford to buy both outfits right now so I need to decide between the two. So, for anyone who has tried both shirts and/or pants, which do you prefer? I'd appreciate your input. Thanks.

-Sid

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

For hot & humid areas I choose REI's Sahara pants and shirts (for travelling in the Philippines). Both were great. Cool and fast drying.

For tougher duty here in the Mojave Desert, where I live, I like "5.11" nylon "canvas" pants and the 5.11 nylon ripstop vented shirt. MUCH better in features and pricing than RailRiders or Ex-Officio. They are made for law enforcement but have all the features needed for backpacking. 5.11 is a very reputable company. Brigade Quartermaster also sells their clothes.

Eric

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Eric,

I have the REI Sahara pants and shirts. Both great products. I do prefer the Rail Riders, but they are not as 'feature rich' and I think the RRs do better in hotter weather.

However, if my RRs were in the dirty laundry and I wanted to leave right away for a trip, I would not have any problem using the REI or Ex Officio stuff. I would probably just grab whatever is at the top of the stack in my closet.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Is the RR stuff made in the USA?

BTW: I use REI Sahara convertibles and have been happy with everything but the zippers. The zipper on the right leg pocket on all three pairs I own has crapped out.

Jay Well
    Spectator

@jwell

Locale: Willamette Valley

I have the railriders eco-mesh shirt and use it almost exclusively in the summer. Whether for backpacking, rafting, cycle touring, it is my go-to shirt. I just love the material and it manages to keep me cooler than anything else I have worn. I wear ExOfficio convertible pants I bought used off this site and like them but I would trade them for a pair of RR's in a heartbeat.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

>> Is the RR stuff made in the USA?

You're kidding right?

No made in China, like almost everything else.

Exceptions seem to be:

Mountain Hardwear – Viet Nam

Columbia – Indonesia & India

North Face – Indonesian & Bangladesh

I do try to buy stuff made is the USA, and try not to buy stuff made in China, but it is becoming more difficult.

Sanad Toukhly
    BPL Member

@red_fox

Ok so the main differences are basically this:

RR shirt have more mesh which probably means better ventilation.
    ExOfficio shirt is made of 80% nylon, 20% polyester, rather than 100% nylon.

RR pants have more mesh also, and the mesh is on the outside of the pant legs.
    ExOfficio pants have the mesh on the inside of the pant legs.

I can't decide, I may end up just getting both outfits.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Sid,

One cannot have too much gear. Wise decision.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools