Topic

Dyneema -x or silnylon roll top on a Golite Ion? what heighth roll top?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Dyneema -x or silnylon roll top on a Golite Ion? what heighth roll top?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Jared Cook

@rooinater

Locale: Northwet

I've slowly started working on my ion this week between my studying for finals and heavy homework load. Wednesday I'll have all day to really get a start on putting it together and finishing it. Presently I have a yd of Dyneema, but am wondering whether I should save some weight and just use silnylon (which i have a yd or 2 of scrap) or make the roll top out of dyneema and keep the whole pack "durable" but slightly heavier. What height should I make the roll top? My golite Jam2 is about 6" to 7" tall, but I was thinking 7" to 10" since it's a narrower pack. What are your thoughts on the roll top height? The run down of the project as of right now is adding a roll top, top closure, removable bear can straps for the top of the pack, a medium sized lycra mesh back pocket, 2 8" deep side lycra mesh pockets for my 1L platy bladders and snacks, an elastic cord system for hanging clothes across the back as I hike and also for cinching the pack down as the supplies thin down. The purpose of the mods is to make the pack a slightly more versatile pack for longer trips on my solo endeavors without paying $150+ for a store bought pack. I'd prefer to modify it myself. I'm less than $50 dollars in, including all the extra fabrics, the pack, buckles and everything.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools