Topic

Playpus CleanStream

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews Playpus CleanStream

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Harlan Bruce

@gbruce

Locale: DFW MetroPlex

This gravity-fed filter uses the same micro-tube-based filtering technology as the MSR Hyperflow. The review of the Hyperflow says everything you need to know about the CleanStream. Mine completely clogged within three liters of dirty water; water that I had no choice but to use. A filter that must be babied as to the quality of water it processes is useless. I was suspicious of the thing but lured by the lower weight and lack of pumping.

I'm very happy that I had enough chlorine tabs for the short trip that I was on.

Noel Hong

@arborrider08

Locale: SouthShore of Lake Superior

Built a Jason Klass inspired DIY gravity filter but replaced the FrontierPro with the MSR/Platy gravity filter. The MSR/Platy filters down to a finer level and at a magnitude faster rate.

Over a 26 day period filtered +3L per day of clear looking water. By day 20 noticed a slight slowing of the filtration rate. Maybe a minute slower per 2L. The filter unit seems rugged. The soft rubberized armored shell should absorb minor impacts. Would gladly give up the armor for a lighter filter. Hopefully MSR will consider a light weight version.
    The ~$40 cost makes this filter relatively inexpensive. No real maintenance except an occasional back flush with clean water and no moving parts to wear or break makes this filter less prone to failure. Trying to filter mud water, freezing or real hard impact are probably the only sources for failure. SteriPen came out with a bottle adapter, 3 micron prefilter that fits almost all container openings. Prefiltering the gunk out of the water based on the above review is probably a necessity. If your water source is going to contain real fine particulate matter that a prefilter will not deal with this may not be a good choice of a water filter.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools