Topic

Arc’Teryx Gamma LT pants

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews Arc’Teryx Gamma LT pants

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

These pants are light, breathable, wind resistant, bug proof and TOUGH. They’ve held up well to the rigors of climbing and kept me comfortable while hiking too. Zippered pockets keep things falling out while kicking back on a break and the stretchy fabric combined with fit give unrestricted freedom of movement.

They are quick to get wet but are also very quick to dry.

Okay now for the bad. They don’t hide dirt well; they wrinkle up easily and can be too warm for very hot weather. Not unreasonable given their performance.

There is one weakness of the fabric. Thorns will snag the material and sometimes cause it to pique.

Overall a very solid product.

Greg Vaillancourt

@gsv45

Locale: Utah

These are the only softshell pants I’ve owned but I’ve been really happy with them. I’ve worn them in the mountains in July and snowshoeing in January and they work well everywhere.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I bought these pants because out of the pletora of sub 16 oz. softshell pants on the market, they were about the only model that seemed to come with multiple zippered pockets (3), a built in belt, and chamois lined waist.

ArcTeryx lists 44 different pants models on their website! The Gamma LT is described as the lightest softshell they produce suitable for "Alpine pursuits". Apparently, softshell to Arc'Teryx means: stretch-woven, breathable, and DWR, since the company makes lighter pants.

Weight:
    My size XL weighs 12.6 ounces. The weight of the pants could probably be reduced one to two more ounces by removing the closure at the hem of the pants.
    Breathability:
    The pants are far more breathable than my nylon MH Canyon pants.
    DWR:
    I have not worn the pants in heavy rain yet but after three washings, water still beads up on the surface.

Room for improvement:
    I would like 1 more inch of rise in the waist, especially to enable me to wear a Patagonia R1 layer underneath them for winter camping.
    Not cheap. I waited to find them on sale at MG in Seattle.
    One more pocket would be nice but that would increase the weight.

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

Came here to post my first review. And you beat me to it. This is an awesome pant!

http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?Womens/Pants-Shorts/Gamma-LT-Pant-W#Light-Athletic

gamma

(Black, Women's XS) 5'5"/165cm, about 50kg/112 lbs The fit is a bit roomier than the regular weight Gammas.

Bug proof. Surviving razor sharp limestone and lots of prickly brush. I tear up pants with my shoes — not these. Perfect shape after 10 days.

Glued seams at hem and pockets. Silky and comfortable. Complete freedom of movement. Gussetted. Water rolls off.

Would like to see a lower rise and don't much care for the buckle — makes it hard to roll the waist over — my style :) Would like to see an XXS. They do run a bit smaller than other brands at least for the girls. Fabric is a bit sticky in the heat. Would like to see these in a lighter color fabric too.

No Arcteryx sponsorship whatsoever.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools