Topic

Thermarest Neo-Air

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews Thermarest Neo-Air

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I purchased a Regular (72") Neo-Air mattress from REI in April of '09.

In backyard "camp" testing at 40 F I found it to be definitely more comfortable than either my lightweight or regular Thermarest foam-filled mattresses. Using my Western Mountaineering Megalite 30 degree bag and synthetic briefs & T-shirt plus thin polypropelene liner socks I felt quite comfortable.

I did not notice any problem with the Neo- Air being cold. On the contrary, it felt slightly warm at all times. Further I can say the horizontal V-tube configuration was much more comfortable than traditional longitidunal tubed air mattresses.

WARMTH factors:

Shorter horizontal tubes = less convection.

2 layers of V-shaped tubes (top and bottom layers) = less convection

reflective layers = less radation heat loss

Cascade Designs has put several years of testing into this, their first non foam mattress, and the research shows. For example, on my T.T, Contrail's sil nylon floor the Air Core stayed put.
    Also my sleeping bag did not slide around on the mattress, all thanks to the tacky finish of the Neo-Air.

So the comfort and relative warmth are the result of this research.
    Plus the small 1 liter bottle rolled size and the 14 oz. weight are even more reasons to buy this mattress.

I DO wish Cascade Designs would have given us a stuff sack & repair kit as well, considering this is their priciest mattress. I refuse to pay $15. for the optional stuff sack. OPTIONAL stuff sack? Since when is a mattress stuff sack an option? Rather make one myself.

Now maybe a stuff sack that doubles as a pump? – yeah, I'd fork over $15. for that.

UPDATE:
    I'm returning my Neo-Air to REI as it is too thick for my stomach sleeping habits. I prefer my old full length Thermarest Lite for its far less bouncy feel and lower profile. Plus, it doesn't need early morning re-inflating nearly as much as the Neo-Air when the night is cool.

Eric

Patricia Combee

@trailfrog

Locale: Northeast/Southeast your call

Purchased 66 inch (13 oz weight by Thermarest; I have not weighed it yet)
    Initial out-of-the-box impression: Wow, can't believe they got in that tiny box.
    Actual 1 night usage: Used in local wilderness area on surpisingly warm night of 58 degrees with moderate wind and occasional gusts of around 25-30 MPH. Shelter was SMD Wild Oasis, used ground sheet and GG 1/4 thinlight (mostly for puncture protection as site had small "puncture stuff"). Inflated quickly, was a bit crinkly sounding, but this did not bother me. Excellent comfort, seemed warm wherever my body was touching it. I was figuring on a much colder night than 58 degrees as this area is known for nights in the 30's even in summer.
    Sleeping bag stayed put on the pad, pad stayed on the ground cloth. Lenght is a bit long for me, but was very nice to have the extra length.
    Initial Impression: Seems well made, well thought out, very comfortable nights sleep. I bit pricey and color is not very "stealthy". I agree with previous reviewer that a stuff sack and repair kit should have been included for the price.
    I will add to this review as I use the pad over the next few months.

Have now used the Neoair for total of 6 nights. Temps from low 40's to low 60's. Have had none of the leakage issues mentioned by others. I have slept warm and comfortable. Sleeping bag stays put. Overall, I am quite pleased with its performance. If I have a problem with it anytime over the summer, I will add to this review.
    Final Update: Have used my Neoair 16 nights in temps ranging from 41 to 65. No problems staying warm. No issues with leaking. I did not have any problems with the pad sliding on the floor of any of my shelters. I still like this pad very much, enough so that I purchased another one in short length to use for multiday backpacks. I will update this post again if I have any problems or special issues with either pad.

John Mackey

@johnmackey

I just completed a 541 section hike of the Appalachian Trail in Virginia. I used the 72" by 20" Thermarest Neo-Air for the entire trip. My mattress weighed 14 ounces and it packed small. Combined with a Gossamer Gear 3/8 inch torso pad I found the Neo-Air adequate insulation for temperatures into the upper-30's (I was using a 20 degree bag), but I felt some ground chill when temperatures dropped below 35 degrees) . I also believe this pad to be more comfortable than any of the self-inflating foam mattresses which I have used from Thermarest. However, the pad seemed thinner and was definitely less comfortable than either my P.O.E. Ether Thermo 6 (weight 19 ounces) or my Stephenson's D.A.M. (weight 19 ounces). I will go back to my Ether Thermo 6 for future 3 season long hikes and my Stephenson's D.A.M. when I need a warmer pad. In this case I believe the 5 ounce weight penalty to be worth it due to the greater degree of comfort.

Michael Landman

@malndman

Locale: Central NC, USA

I got back from 7 days in the Grand Canyon three weeks ago. I had a regular sized NeoAir under my Montbel UL SS #3 down bag inside a Alpinlite Bug bivy and a GG Spinshelter 2.

Cottonwood  Creak

I slept great!!!

I noticed NO particular noise.
    Mine got (I think it had it from the factory) a real slow leak. 2 – 3 breaths to re-inflate it at 3 AM. No big deal, and the leak was so slow I could not find it in the field.
    If I got it the first night, I did not find whatever made the pin hole. I patched it with an REI patch kit, and it seems to be holding air. The ONLY negative thing I found was that if you touched ground through the pad, the insulation went from warm to none immediately.

Conditions…
    1 night on the S. Rim – bare ground and snow, with lows around 26
    6 nights below the rim lows around 35 with varying winds, snow, and clear nights.
    I will take this over my "normal" old green 1.5" self inflating TR pad or my InsulMax 6 tube. It is much lighter than the former and more comfy than the latter. It is much more fragile feeling than my other pads due to the light weight fabric used, so care must be excersized, as with any light gear.

cloudy GC panarama

GC in bloom

V k
    Spectator

@vladimir_ek

Locale: New York

Comfortable and light sleeping pad. However first one I bought had a slow leak. After 5-6 hours my hip would almost touch the ground and it required a couple of breaths to inflate. I got a replacement from the store and it seems fine based on testing at home. Would give it 5/5 if it wasn't for quality control issue.

James Lantz
    BPL Member

@jameslantz

Locale: North Georgia

I've spent a total of 5 trail nights on the NeoAir short. It weighs 9 oz on my scales. Very comfortable down into high 40's. Haven't had the opportunity to test lower temps yet. I'm 6'1" tall & the pad reaches from the top of my head to just behind my knees. It doesn't seem that any extra length would be necessary given the extra weight. It doesn't seem to be any louder than other inflatable pads I've used when changing positions. I also appreciate that even when using a quilt, it doesn't feel clammy or sticky. I give it a 4 because it's not as comfy for side sleeping as it is for back sleeping, at least for me.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

There has been a lot of hype generated around this sleeping pad and I have to say it is very warm and comfortable to sleep on. I used last week in Emigrant Wilderness and the temps got below freezing because when I woke up in the morning there was ice cycles all over my tarp. I used the Neo-Air with a Nunatak sleeping bag. I was never cold and did not notice any noise that I have heard so much about…I was very comfortable the entire night and I usually toss and turn. I really like the WEIGHT: 14oz-WOW!! and I really like small packable size of the Neo-Air and I slept warm and very comfortable..Thumbs Up!!!

joe newton
    BPL Member

@holdfast

Locale: Bergen, Norway

I purchased the Short version of this much lauded/derided sleeping mat and have to say it proved to be nothing less than exceptional. I'm a smidge over 6 feet and around 190lbs and once I realised that it's better inflated to around half it's capacity it proved to be perfectly comfortable whether I fell asleep on my side, back or even front. It rolls up to nothing too. It won't replace my Exped Synmat when it's freezing but for everything else it looks perfect so far.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I was turned off by the price, but the lure of 2.5" of pad, that would operate in 3 seasons- weighing in under a lb was too tempting

I'm currently using a regular, it weighed in at 13.2 oz (0.8 less than advertised)

it's easily the most comfortable pad I've used, the configuration of the pad makes it less likely to slip off

I've slept on it w/ temps into the mid 30's w/ no complaints of cold

it is a little narrow for me, I'm probably going to be trading up for a large and then after reading a thread in MYOG- cut the large pad length down

I debated on a rating of 4 or a 5 due to pricing, but when a product performs this well- to dam(n) w/ the price

Amy Lauterbach
    BPL Member

@drongobird

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

We have now used our small NeoAir pads for 10 nights in Escalante area of Utah and 30 nights in Wales/England.

Compared to Thermarest ProLite and to Z-Rest pads… the Neoair pads are WAY more comfortable for back, belly, and side sleeping. We are both thrilled with these pads.

Haven't used them in temps <50 yet.

One of the pads had a tiny slow leak out of the box. Cascade Designs replaced it. Since then we have had no problems, although we are super careful to clear the ground of anything potentially sharp before bedding down, and we don't use the pads as sit-cushions.

Noise is a non-issue.

We made a coupler to keep them together, which undoubtedly helps avoid the arms-falling-off issue some people have disliked. 83" circumference; 3/4" grosgrain ribbon; one tri-glide.

NeoAir Coupler: 83" circumference; 3/4" grosgrain ribbon; and one tri-glide.

Amy L and Jim Y

Dylan Carlson

@dylan_carlson

The Neo-Air is (at first glance) obviously a compromise between weight and durability.

So let me first say that I carried mine for 3000 miles on the CDT, slept in it over 130 nights, and NEVER punctured it.

My rule is simple: I've never seen an air mattress pop when it was inside a backpack or inside a tent. So those are the only places mine is allowed to be.

It was warm, comfy, and the noise didn't bother me at all. Really, I though, the only downside at all was the price.

Then, with only two weeks left in my thru-hike the fabric started to wear thin around the valve. NOT puncture, but just wear out. It's so thin, that it started to slowly leak air.

No, not many people sleep on their air mattress 130 times during the entire time they own it. So I suppose for most people it's durable enough. But for me, it dropped from Five stars to only Four when this happened.

But, I'll send it in for repairs, and Thermarest will honor the lifetime warranty. So no real complaints here.

allen force
    BPL Member

@yknott456

Locale: Florida

I read some initial reviews that suggested it was functionally narrower than the specs indicated so I hesitated about getting it. Then, at Summit Hut in Tucson I was able to do a side by side comparison between what I was using (the Thermalite ProLite-Regular)and the Neoair. The Neoair won hands down, both for comfort and space. I have used it on the AT in north Georgia and in the Cohutta Wilderness and so far I am thrilled. I haven't been into any really low temps yet (I try to avoid them)but it is still my most comfortable sleeping experience and the light weight is great. Of course I treat it with kid gloves. No problems yet but it "looks" fragile. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because of my agreement with previous reviewers that, at that price, it should have included the stuff sack and a repair kit.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I initially bought the regular size NeoAir but I recently sold that and bought the small size instead to save 5oz. I've been really happy with the switch. The small NeoAir is just as comfortable, lighter and quicker to inflate and roll up. To inflate it, it takes about 12-13 large breathes instead of about 20.

At first I didn't find the NeoAir to be a revelation in comfort but now that I've learned more about inflating it I'm finding it very comfortable. For me as a side sleeper, I like my NeoAir very soft. I like my hip and shoulder to be lightly bottoming out so there is a little pressure on my hip and shoulder. This really lets me sink into the pad and that keeps me stable and well supported. With the NeoAir soft like this, the NeoAir is very comfortable and there isn't an strange drop off where my legs hang off the short pad. I use a small section of a closed cell pad under my feet that also doubles as the back pad in my pack and as a sit pad for around camp.

To reiterate, I strongly prefer the small NeoAir over the regular size. It's significantly lighter, faster to inflate and faster to roll up. There's no reason to get the heavier regular length if you are already carrying a back pad or something else you can put under your feet.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have the small Neo. I first used it inside of my brother-in-law's Cotrail, and it was slip-n-slide city. We were on an incline… our faults. I thought, man… I think I may return this thing. I kept it, and figured I'd give it another try. Took it out to Joshua Tree. First night I used a GG 1/8" ThinLight with a GG torso length NightLight on top… a lil' hard on the back (hard desert ground), but bearable. Second night I threw the Neo on top of the ThinLight, and used the NightLight torso under my legs… pure bliss. Adored it. I married it. We love each other for now…

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I purchased a short NeoAir in late May of 2009 from REI (using the 20% off coupon, which made it a less exorbitant purchase). The prospect of an air mat that was considerably lighter than my POE Insulmat Max Thermo (older version of their Ether Thermo) was just too good to resist.

Unfortunately, while evaluating the NeoAir on the floor at home for several nights, and even during my first couple of trips (a 2-nighter and a 4-nighter), the vision of weight savings dancing in my head overrode the realization that the NeoAir was definitely not as comfortable as my POE insulated pad. It was a lot harder to find the "sweet spot" between the NeoAir's being too hard for comfortable sleeping and so soft that my hip bone touched the ground. The horizontal tubes meant that instead of being cradled between the outer tubes as with the POE pad, the NeoAir had a tendency to "buck me off" onto the tent floor every time I rolled over. This problem was especially pronounced on the inevitable sloping ground (I've never yet found a level tent site that wasn't situated where it would turn into a pond in heavy rain!)

The final decision was made by the (for me) very optomistic temperature rating of the NeoAir, which is supposed to be warm down to freezing. I got cold on it at 40*F. (I'm female and a cold sleeper!) I therefore started taking a thin CCF pad as supplement, which helped down to 32*F. The next (and final) trip I took with the NeoAir I took the same thin CCF pad, but the outside temperature got down to 18*F. I shivered most of the night! I expect the NeoAir would have been OK with the addition of 1/2" CCF pad, but the combination would have been heavier–and a lot bulkier–than my POE pad and not nearly as comfortable. (The Insulmat Max Thermo is fine for me down to 25*F with no supplement and to 15*F with a 1/8" CCF pad on top.)

The NeoAir went back to REI, where someone undoubtedly got a good buy at their next Scratch and Dent sale.

On the positive side, the NeoAir is undoubtedly fine for those who stay in one place most of the night, are warm sleepers, have less sensitive hips than I do and use the NeoAir as a summer pad in places where it doesn't regularly freeze at night in midsummer. The "noise" reported by the BPL reviewers is a non-issue; even with a lot of tossing and turning I never heard anything (helps to have one's head inside the sleeping bag, of course). Those going to the NeoAir from a CCF pad or thinner self-inflating pad will definitely find the NeoAir comfortable. I was coming from what for me is a far more comfortable inflatable pad, and my desire to save some ounces just cost me a bunch of uncomfortable nights–my stupidity!

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

Like Dylan Carlson, I also used a Neo-Air (size regular for me) on a thru-hike. My thru-hike was of the Appalachian Trail, starting in late February (2010), so a lot of snow and cold weather in the first month or two.

I had a similar number of days on the trail too, but given the nature of the AT, I'm sure I spent less nights on the Neo-Air than Dylan did on the CDT (lots of towns, hostels on the AT …). Still, I might have spent on the order of 100 nights on it this year.

Mine is still in great shape, I never had a leak, slow or otherwise. Given anticipated cold weather, I started the trip with a pair of Gossamer Gear thinlight pads, one 1/8" and one 1/4" thick. Depending on temperature I'd put one or the other of those below the neo-air and the other one on top. After I got done with the snow, I mailed home the 1/4" pad and kept the 1/8" pad throughout just to protect the neo-air. On the PCT and now the AT I've never had a leak or puncture, as I always have some sort of protection underneath my inflatables (i.e., I agree with Dylan on that one too). The thinlight pads aren't as long as the 72" neo-air, but I also keep a 1/3 section of a GG "nightlight" pad just as a sitpad, and I used that at night under the neo-air to cover most of what the thinlight did not.

With the combo thinlight pads I was always warm enough in my 20F Western Mountaineering down bag, albeit with additional clothing on (Feathered Friends down booties, Montbell Alpinelite parka) inside the bag when it got pretty cold — down into the teens (Farenheit) multiple times.

I never had to reinflate the sleeping pad — for me, at any rate, I always fully inflated the pad (a firm pad felt better to my back) and it was always still firm in the morning.

Obviously I had no "durability" problems, I suspect I put more use on that pad this year than many (most?) people will put on one in a lifetime, and at this point I'm thinking I'll use it on the CDT next year (toying with the idea of moving to the shorter version though). The one area of concern for me is the valve, and that because of the way it packs — roll it up and the valve sort of sticks out, it seems like a point that could get more stress just in the nature of "shoving stuff down into the pack". But for around 100 nights this year I did just that and the pad still works fine, FWIW.

The "crinkly noise" was never an issue for me, and I suspect that it's less noisy now that I've used it quite a bit (not certain).

David Hunter

@lime950

I originally had a NeoAir size medium pad, and while I was amazed at the weight to comfort ratio (12.6 oz on my digital scale) over my Thermarest Prolite pad, the extra height caused me great pain with my bad shoulder as it would hang over the side of the 20" pad. I decided to sell the size M and picked up a Large, the 77" x 25". All I can say is… WOW! The difference in comfort of the 25" vs the 20" wide pad is substantial, and with a weight of just 16.1 oz, the penalty is just a tad more than 3oz. It is a no-brainer for this backpacker. Seriously, if Thermarest would make the 25" wide NeoAir pads available in the smaller sizes, they would sell a ton. IMHO of course. Bottom line: I am very happy with my NeoAir. I've never been so comfortable sleeping in the back country. Oh… regarding the leaking issue: When you arrive at camp, fill the pad 1/2 full and let it stay that way for a while. Fill it up fully only when you're ready to sleep (hopefully that is a few hours later) and it will not need to be re-filled again. This is clearly explained in the instructions, but like most of us, we hardly read them.

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

After using the large (19oz) for the extra 5" in width and the regular (14 oz) to save a little weight I finally just settled on the small (9 oz). It's lightweight and perfect as an extended torso style inflatable sleeping pad. I'm 6' and 195 lbs and at first the large was the only one that would fit for me without my shoulders falling off the sides, but now I'm used to the small and prefer the lighter weight. I use a GG sitpad for my feet and sleep comfortably. The small size is the lightest weight comfortable inflatable pad I could find in the 'torso' size range, and it fits nicely into the pad pocket on a GG Gorilla or Murmur (with some creative folding). At 47" long the small has plenty of length and it reaches from my head to half way down my upper legs. I punctured it on a small branch while sleeping with a tarp, but it was easy to repair. This picture is from the Sierra's this summer while trying out the regular size. The NeoAir regular size in the Dinkey Creek Wilderness this summer.

Joshua Stillwell
    BPL Member

@bearjosh

Locale: Central California

Last fall of 2009 I took the Neo Air with me on a John Muir Trail through-hike. Im more of a lightweight backpacker then an ultralight backpacker and the Neo Air was my favorite piece of gear. I have always been annoyed with how large, bulky, and heavy traditional pads were. I have secondly always been annoyed with how little comfort ultra-light pads afford.

To me the Neo Air solves both of those problems in a revolutionary fashion. Its just as light as a lot of egg crate pads, fits into a space way smaller, gives 3 inches of potential padding, and allows those who are hip sleepers to be comfortable. Also its great cuz it definitely insulates really well. I was always much colder through the golite ultra then because of the Neo Air.

Yes the Neo Air is more expensive then other pads, but it is worth the extra money. I would rather scrimp on most other pieces of gear, to have a good nights sleep in the backcountry, and I think many would agree. I honestly have not met one person who has purchased a Neo Air and not been very satisfied.

As others have mentioned, its much more comfortable when you deflate it a bit. I have also found it useful when staying at hostels abroad. Sometimes the padding of the mattresses at hostels can be real uncomfortable, and it was nice to have the Neo Air to give me some real padding. I am 5'11" and 200 pounds or so, and the medium has worked well for me, its just about long enough. I understand some people's concern about arm drop, but I'm more of a side sleeper so its not as much of concern for me. I might try out the large one of these days if I can.

Lastly, with about 50 days of use in the backcountry since its purchase in 2009 I have not got any holes or leaks in the pad. Im not that careful of a selector as to where I sleep and have not been so careful to where I place the pad. I beat it around pretty good, the only protection it had from the rocks, branches, and pine cones I put it on, was a single layer of Sil-nylon. Its done me real well, a great investment, and it seems its the only piece of gear that actually follows me wherever I go.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

The NeoAir is a good pad, with a fantisticcall price. I have a medium which just fits me at 5'9". I usually inflate this fully while setting up camp, giving it a couple of breaths before sleeping. Works pretty well.
    I have used it about 120 nights since early May, 2009. My only problem was a ballooning at one end where two baffles partially delaminated during a warm night. I returned it and they sent a new one. This is the reason for my rating of 4, not 5.
    Comfort was excelent, even though I toss and turn all night. It never "bounced" me off. Warmth was good. For an inflatable(with thermal barrier,) it is quite warm compared to an evasote pad,though they rated similar (R2.5 vs R2.2.) I think I tend not to roll off of it more *because* of the thickness…it lets me know when I do.
    The big plus is the compact size. It fits easily into my tarp, rolling the two together. Waterproof, it just wipes dry. (I have seen pictures of floating on these, too.) Amenable to customizations with a hot iron…this is a bonus, though voiding the lifetime guarantee. Overall, very close to ideal.

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

I love my NeoAir (size regular). It is light, comfy, and packs small.

I agree that for the price a patch kit should be included, but I don't miss the stuff sack. I have been using a ziploc bag and after 40 nights or I have found that to work fine. The ziploc is cheap, light, and holding up fine.

Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@pkh

Locale: Nova Scotia

I would second or endorse all of the enthusiastic comments concerning the comfort and warmth of the Thermarest Neo-Air, but unfortunately this is irrelevant, as I cannot keep air in the thing over the course of a night. There is a slow leak somewhere, and I have never been able to locate it. Therefore despite the initial comfort and warmth, the pad is functionally useless to me.

Bill Wang
    BPL Member

@billwang

Locale: SF Bay Area

I have two neo-airs. One small size that I got when they first were introduced. Another reg size I got last year. The reg size has been fine so far. The small side has developed slow leaks on the bottom side welds. I could hardly find them in my swimming pool, but the pad lost about 1/3 of the air every night. The leaks were all on the welds which are recessed, so it is definitely not from wear. I called cust support and they are replacing it. I love the pad, so hope the new one is fine.

Adam Kramer
    BPL Member

@rbeard

Locale: ATL, Southern Appalachia

i love mine. perfect for southeast 3/4 season. it has gone from luxury item to necessity. it has kept me and my long cozy down bag high and dry on may occasions when mother nature reared her ugly head and the tent got a little leakage by morning. you could probably use it to pack raft a lake or class 1 river in emergency. if you are 6'0-6'4, welcome to heaven. I am 6'0 and almost feel too spoiled!

jennifer ross

@jenhifive

Locale: Norcal

I used a prolite 3 for years (12-13 oz) and thought it was comfortable enough until I got a neoair. I love that I don't have to fuss anymore about clearing every stick and stone before i set up camp. I got a short (9 oz.) for 50 at a rei used gear sale and was kind of hesitant because the new one I checked out was noisy like laying on layers of potato chip bags so I don't know what a new one is like. My buddy got has one now too that he got used but in newer condition and his is pretty quiet as well.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools