Topic

2016 Gossamer Gear Gorilla or Mariposa hipbelt picture?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 2016 Gossamer Gear Gorilla or Mariposa hipbelt picture?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dan T
    BPL Member

@mzegeek

Planning to use my GG Mariposa for an upcoming trip with a heavy load (30 lbs) an would like to modify it to fit the updated hipbelt that allows the frame to insert into the hipbelt. Hoping this will help alleviate the “sag” that happens when the pack is carrying more than 20lbs.

I purchased a 2016 hipbelt that has the frame “pockets” sewn in but not sure how far up the back of the pack to allow them to come through. I would like the mod to look as close to factory as possible.

Does anyone have a 2016 model gorilla or mariposa that they could share a picture of the back of the pack showing the frame coming through?

Thanks for any help,

DanT

Mark Messonnier
    BPL Member

@qzm3

Dan, I did this mod to my Gorilla in April.  In the hope that this response is not too late, I’ll send you a link to photos of what I did tonight.  Also take a look at the Mariposa review on sectionhiker.  There are some posts there related to this very thing.

Mark Messonnier
    BPL Member

@qzm3

Here is a link to my photos. https://goo.gl/photos/KCdBueZtcmUMUWDY6

Mike Gilmore
    BPL Member

@happypad

Bump to the top. Id like to see a pic of a 2016 Mariposa as well. I want to see where exactly the aluminum stay comes through the back of the pack. If someone could share a pic.

Mike Gilmore
    BPL Member

@happypad

Took Dan T’s advice and completed the mod to my 2105 Mariposa pack with the 2016 belt, in about 15 minutes. I did it slightly different and used strips of self adhesive Velcro (soft side-loop ).I then measured 5/8 of an inch up from where the black and grey material meet. While  the aluminum stay was still in place, I used a soldering iron to cut a (+ ) through the Velcro and on through the pack material. Let it cool down and the poked the aluminum stay through the new holes. Attached the hip belt and tried it out with about a 22 lb load. Wow what a difference this makes. If you haven’t done it , please consider it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools