Topic

2 Person Tent – 3 lbs or less. Cast your votes!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 2 Person Tent – 3 lbs or less. Cast your votes!

Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Moravec
    BPL Member

@mntentman

Locale: The Great Midwest

That Slingfin looks a lot like the old Walrus/MSR Zoid.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

jimmyb,

Do it. The pain lasts until the first time you carry, set up and sleep in the Duplex…then it just magically melts away :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

If saving money is an issue, the MSR Fast Stash in combo with a 25% coupon can be had on STP for under 100 not including shipping.  With using one’s own hiking poles, comes in right around 3 lbs and seems pretty spacious (especially for the person near the door).

Wouldn’t want to get caught in changing, strong winds in it though.

My spouse and i may be hiking the Colorado trail together this summer, and i’m looking at it as an option.

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

Do it. The pain lasts until the first time you carry, set up and sleep in the Duplex…then it just magically melts away :)

I here ya John, thanks for the encouragement! Thats exactly my experience with great gear. First you pay the piper, then comes the rush and then there’s no turning back. Fraid I might get hooked on CF. You know hanging out at Zpacks.com, spending the family food money, diggin in the couch for spare change :)

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

I’m just a little envious you have the camo option. I got mine right before it became available and probably would have gone that direction. Normally not a fan of camo and the ‘bushcrafty’ look, but blending into the background is definitely desirable at times.

However I’m still perfectly happy with my .51 olive green and after a fair amount of use still thank myself every time I use it. At least the statistics are in your favor… the general feel I get is that the vast majority of folks with a Duplex feel that way. Of course there are exceptions, as expected.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

As Bob, and pretty much anyone else who has owned a Duplex knows, it is a beautiful piece of kit. I was nearly certain it was the shiz when I saw the photos of the final prototype, and so I bought one as soon as they were in production.  It was love at first pitch.

I opted for the 0.74oz canopy, mostly because the only other experience I had had with CF….oops, DCF…was an MLD Grace Duo which was 0.74 and so beautifully made. I figured the “upgrade” was good insurance.  Not sure if I’d opt for 0.74 again. I’ve not seen any reports of problems with the 0.51.

jimmy b
    BPL Member

@jimmyb

Bob and John,

So both of you are on the sometimes humid and moisture laden East Coast as I am. To what extent has condensation played a negative part in using the Duplex.

Agree camo (especially this print) is a nice option.

Sorry to OP for thread drift…..

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Condensation is no worse than other single wall tents, and owing to the amazingly superior ventilation, better than most. On most rainy nights I can leave both downwind doors fully open, and all four open if there is little to no wind. What little condensation there is can be easily taken care of with a lightload towel

re thread drift: well, the OP *did* ask for shelter recommendations :)

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Overall, condensation is really not bad at all.

Last fall I did the Cranberry lake loop in the Daks in October, which turned out to be very summer-like with fairly high humidity some rain almost every day and night, and it wasn’t even noteworthy. If it does get wet, water shakes out very easily, and it’s also easy to turn it inside out when it needs a sweep. If there is any moisture left over from the previous night, it normally dries up very quickly after pitching at camp.

It is so cool to roll up all the doors on warm nights to catch the breezes while being completely shielded from mosquitoes, flies and gnats and various creepy crawlers. I know there are other tents where this is possible, but at 22oz incl guylines, stakes and stuff sack, well, there aren’t many like that! Also, should inclement weather move in during the night, it’s pretty easy to close all the doors quickly.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

If you want a freestanding tent you might consider the new MSR Freelite 2. With stakes and all the tent weighs 45.6 oz. Add a sheet of polycro underneath and you’re still a tad under 3 lbs.

I’m considering a Freelite 1 with a  green rainfly, so as to be stealthy. Problem is that you can only buy the green ones in Europe. I called MSR to see if I could get a green one here in the States and they said no, you can only buy them with a grey rainfly in North America. WTF? ultralightoutdoorgear.com in the UK has the green ones available.

You can buy a grey Freelite 2 right now at campsaver for 20% off. Comes to $351

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Monte, I like the looks of that green. Unfortunately with the £/$ at 1:1.42, plus intl shipping, that’d be one expensive tent! :^o

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Bob, the Freelite 2 is actually cheaper at ultralightoutdoorgear.com than it is from U.S. retailers (except for the 20% off at campsaver) The UK site has the Freelite 2’s listed at $413 whereas the U.S. retailers are selling them for $440. Shipping from the UK isn’t bad if you’re not in a hurry.

The dollar is strong right now. One reason is because so many countries has devalued their currency.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

OK, well not too bad for someone who really wants that color.

Greg Whalin
    BPL Member

@gwhalin

Locale: Hudson Valley, NY

I went with the Stratospire 2 specifically for indoor size as my wife insisted we had a roomy tent for a trip to Quetico a few years ago.  Spent 8 nights in it with some good intense thunder storms and have no complaints at all.  Easy to setup, lightweight, and very roomy.

David K.
    BPL Member

@dkny2la

Locale: Los Angeles

The new Nemo META LE 2P looks good.  88″ x 53″ and only 35 oz.  Anyone happen to have one yet that can provide feedback?

http://www.nemoequipment.com/product/?p=Meta%20LE%202P

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

The OP said he wanted two doors however if anybody else is looking for a very roomy 2 person tent that is under 3 lbs and you can live with front entry, check out the Big Agnes Slater UL2+.  It’s a true double wall which is really nice.  The inner tent is extremely breathable (I can breath normally through the fabric when it’s pressed against my face), yet it is very water repellent.   The Slater UL2+ is very long (96″ of usable length) and it’s wide! (59″ wide at the head and 51″ at the narrow end).  I have the Slater UL1+ and it’s as wide as many 2 person tents (see picture of my one man Slater below with two 20″ pads in it).

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

That’s pretty roomy for a 1-person tent!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

TT Stratospire 2, fer sure.

The SS2 is a very clever (and very wind-worthy) design that gives a 2 person tent the proper head-to-toe sleeping bag orientation to minimize floor space but still have a roomy tent with TWO vestibules, a necessary item to help insure long term friendship on a trip. Plus it’s a nice option to have one vestibule on the lee side in a storm.

Speaking of storms, I’m not so sure some of the other “A frame” UL 2 P tents mentioned here would fare nearly as well as the Stratospire in a full gale type storm.

David K.
    BPL Member

@dkny2la

Locale: Los Angeles

With the TT Stratospire 2, does it work just as well if you both sleep facing the same way or is it really designed for sleeping head to toe?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

With my wife, we sleep head to toe because we both snore and I toss and turn a lot.

The advantage of head to toe becomes more important when sitting up because there is good space from face to face, so for example playing cards .

This shot makes that a bit more obvious :

however you can sleep the same way as  this couple does :

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

And works great Franco if you have a foot fetish :)

b

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Close enough, there is something fetid about feet..

Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools