Topic

Tarptent Kocheda (Scarp mod)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarptent Kocheda (Scarp mod)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

This is one mod that I put together between 3:30 and 4AM the second night I had the Scarp. It was in my mind and could not sleep so I had to get up and do it.
    All you need are the same corner clips that will be used with the inner only set-up, IE a clip that connects to the inner corner ring and a pocket to hold the pole. ( my prototype uses bits of string)
    The idea is to erect the Scarp as in the three season mode, insert pole in yellow sleeve, peg down the corners and the center struts, get inside the tent and insert the poles at leisure. ( it's quicker if the inner is un -clipped except for the corners)
    The side shot has a different (non symmetrical) pole set-up, but it looks very similar anyway.
    FrancoScarp Kocheda 1
    Scarp Kocheda 2

Misfit Mystic

@cooldrip

Locale: "Grand Canyon of the East"

Brilliant Franco! I think the poles configured as in the first photo would lend considerable strength to the tent under snow load. There is more surface area supported than with exterior poles/clips, and the fly looks to be under some tension, which should help to prevent snow from piling up.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Fantastic Franco! Looks much sturdier this way.

Now to think what to do about the loose pole clips outside. Won't they whip about in the wind? I guess they could be used to guy out the tent into really stable configuration!

I think I'm going to be getting a Scarp 2 for sure now.

This mod could very easily be used in a Terra Nova Laser Competition, too!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Hi Miguel
    There are already 2 guyout points on the cross pole yellow sleeve and another 2 just above the mid end strut, pretty much where the pole crosses over on the inside.
    Those pole clips can be removed and re-attached easily. So it is up to you how you want to set it up. Fly only, inner only, freestanding with poles outside (very quick and easy) or inside, a bit fiddly if you have not wrestled with this kind of set up before.
    Keep in mind that the Scarp corner struts are much stronger than the ones in similarly shaped tents.
    Franco
    No string attached
    Note that neither of those two shots show the final version of this mod.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Something else that you can try. This could be used when you don't have the extra poles or want even more support with those poles. Note the Porsche designed connection between trekking pole and hoop pole. I call that The Sock. ( helps keeping the pole in place, that as well as the shock cord around the clip)
    Franco
    Scarp and trekking pole
    Scarp the sock

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Nicely done, Franco. Talk about adding some crossing points and support!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

The official Tarptent made clips have arrived.

Pro
    They look better than my piece of string
    No need to guess the length of the above

Against
    Heavier than a piece of string (about 1/3 oz for the 4)

They can be left attached to the corner ring as they don't interfere with the standard set-up.
    Franco
    Tarptent Downunder Inc.
    Scarp Kocheda bugnet

Kocheda clips

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools