Topic

Western Mountaineering Alpinelite

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews Western Mountaineering Alpinelite

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Bobby Pack
    BPL Member

@piddler

Locale: West Virginia

Wow, it's so light and it packs so small. When you take it out of the stuff sack you can almost here it go poof as it magically grows. I've been out six nights with temps 10-15 degress F wearing longjohns in my Tarptent and have only needed to zip it up all the way in the predawn hours. At 25-30 degrees F I've been using it as a quilt. The lining is comfortable agaisnt the skin, the down can be moved from the top to the bottom for different temps. This bag has extended my season, snow is fun again.

Note: I thought based on the performance of other name brand bags I've owned that were rated to 20F that I was buying a three season bag. I was wrong this bag pretty much covers winter in WV and impressed me so much that I just got me a WM Caribou MF for my three season bag.

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

This is my first 20 degree bag. It is not, however, my first 20 degree RATED bag. I've spent some cold nights in the 30's in some other 20 degree bags.

I've had this one down to 21 degrees in a hammock. On that occasion, I had a silk liner, a wool hat, wool long underwear, shirt, and pants on and was comfortable. At temperatures much higher than that, I use it like a quilt.

At 31 oz. it's a light bag. It comes out of the stuff sack and lofts to where it looks like there's someone in it.

The outer shell is water repellent which is good with a down bag. That's the main reason I got the silk liner. I don't want to wash the bag because I'm afraid it won't repell water afterwards.

Really, no complaints. It's a great bag.

Thomas Baker
    BPL Member

@shake_n_bake

Locale: WY

I have used this bag for about three years now. This bag continues to impress me every time I use it.

Being 6'4" I have found the large size to be very comfortable. I do not use extra clothing beyond a long mid-weight base layer to extend the temp. range. Even so I have found the temp. range to be very accurate to a little conservative.

I also do not use the bag as a true mummy. I roll from side to side a lot at night. However, I do not take the bag with me. I turn within the bag. There is more than enough room to do this.

I have not used this bag outside, but it sheds normal condensation from a single wall sil-nylon tent very well.

Another quality product from Western Mountaineering.

Jim Cowdery
    BPL Member

@james-cowdery

Locale: South Florida

I believe that Western Mountaineering is the standard for lightweight down sleeping bags. I gave my old alpinlite to my daughter for an AT through hike and bought a new one for myself. I tok an old WM bag and converted it to a quilt and my son loves his Alpinlite.

I don't have to buy another sleeping bag. Between the quilt and my Alpinlite I have all seasons covered. I also use my WM down jacket to extend the temperature range of my Alpinlite.

BPL spends lots of time reviewing other manufacturers. They need to provide more reviews for WM products.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools