Topic

BPL tests I’d like to see…..

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) BPL tests I’d like to see…..

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I would love to see a BPL comparison test of the ULA Ohm vs. a GG Gorilla vs. a MLD whatever vs. a SMD whatever is comparable. Anyone else like to see this? Or something else?

Dana S
    BPL Member

@naman919

Locale: Richmond, Virginia

Just got my gorilla!

Gorilla first shot

I can comment on the features it has and my impressions more tonight. I just wanted to show off my very first shot of the pack to yall! :)

– Dana

Edit: My hand is holding a magic orb that i stole from Helios.

Dana S
    BPL Member

@naman919

I can't directly compare that array of packs b/c I've never dealt with any of the others, but I will update this thread with some better shots/feature likes/dislikes.

I would be very interested in a BPL comparison.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Wow. Two of us.

Dana S
    BPL Member

@naman919

I'm sure they just missed it :P

Sorry for not updating my post with more info. Got in late last night.

I'll show more details this weekend.

– Dana

David Mcevoy

@dave_mac68

Locale: Virginia Beach

Count me in; I am in the process of deciding which UL pack I would like to buy and I have looked a most(all!!!)on the market. Some, objective, professional help would be appreciated.

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

I'd like to see controlled tests conducted with slightly extreme levels of abuse on some of the SUL gear.

Dana S
    BPL Member

@naman919

I have both the Miniposa and Gorilla and i wouldn't consider either SUL.

The mini weighs in at 15.15oz on my scale and i haven't weighed the Gorilla but off the top of my head i think it's listed at around 24oz.

SUL in my mind would be something like the ZBlast packs or the reissued MLD Revelation.

JMHO, but i would be interested in a test like that also, if that's what you meant.

– Dana

David Ure

@familyguy

State of the Market on Floorless shelters…..

Michael Febbo
    Spectator

@febbom

I'd love to see another softshell/hardshell material test (they did one years ago) that compares the properties of the fabrics used by Patagonia, Montbell, Arcteryx, Rab, Mtn Hardwear, Outdoor Research and Cloudveil. Information such as MVTR and CFM is what I'm looking for… as well as durability and drying times.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I would like to see an updated report comparing various bivies.

As far as I know, there are no BPL reviews of the Mountain Laurel Designs bivies or of many of the products that Ron has come out with over the past 2 yrs.

Also it would be nice to see an article comparing various quilts on the market now.

-Tony

John Carter

@jcarter1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

So long as we're on the gear test bandwagon now, I'd like to see a comparison on the Tarprent Rainbow and the MLD silnylon DuoMid with upcoming bug nest.

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

A thorough BPL review comparing/contrasting the dvantages & disadvantages for these three shelters would be great:

MLD Duomid (5' x about 9')

vs

Oware Mini-AlphaMid (4' x 8')

vs

Oware "New Smaller" Pyramid (8' x 8')

Also — wonder why BPL has had so few reviews over the past several years of products from MLD and Oware. This seems especially to be especially true of MLD shelters since there are at least some old BPL reviews of Oware tarps (flat tarps, cat tarps, and a seemingly one-of-a-kind custom Alphamid that BPL's review described as 5' x 10' x 5' tall and weighing about 20 oz).

JRS

JRS

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

A redo of the drying test of wet down vs. wet synthetic items done several years ago, using a larger sample size and more comparable items when pairing down and synthetic. It seemed that the jackets used in the test were not comparable because of very different shell fabrics, which left only the two vests as a valid sample. I'd particularly like to see a comparison of a down and a synthetic sleeping bag with comparable shell fabrics. A larger sample size and more comparable shell fabrics for each pair might really put the prevailing down vs. synthetic myths to rest. And maybe slightly less favorable drying conditions than the Arizona desert?

Dana S
    BPL Member

@naman919

I second Mary's idea. That would be very useful.

I recently sent back my MB Inner Down Parka for a Thermawrap b/c i was hesitant of damaging the down. The east coast is just too damp!

– Dana

Fred eric
    BPL Member

@fre49

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire

More stuff like :

A New Paradigm for Understanding Garment Warmth post from
    Richard Nisley

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=18950

– with more garnements tested
    – with some combinations tested, we could have some surprises from layering, if the air permeability of the shell is an important part of the result, some clothes that have low results due to more air permeability could benefit more to be layered with a wind resistant outer layer.

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

I would like to see a comparison of tents that make sense for snow camping. Most of the tent comparison articles (single and double-walled) make mention of snow worthiness, but none focus on it. Since a lot of ultralight folks might consider buying a second shelter just for this purpose (or deciding to buy a different shelter so that it can be used in all seasons) I think such an article would be very helpful.

Kevin Egelhoff

@kegelhoff

Locale: Southern Cal

I 2nd. Fred's post !!!!

( New Paradigm for Understanding Garment Warmth post from
    Richard Nisley

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=18950

– with more garnements tested !!!!!!!!
    – with some combinations tested, we could have some surprises from layering, if the air permeability of the shell is an important part of the result, some clothes that have low results due to more air permeability could benefit more to be layered with a wind resistant outer layer.)

And then update the chart with each new piece of gear that BPL comes out with as well as giving the rating on all clothing that is tested.
    I'm sure that would keep the paid membership going strong !!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools