Topic

cheap, versatile shelter/rain system

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) cheap, versatile shelter/rain system

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Now I know a lot of people here like to spend a lot of money to buy all of this really cool lightweight gear. I like the look of a lot of the stuff but I am not one of them. To that end I have created this shelter/rain system and would like people to critique it if they would. Most temps will be 40F or above. Thank you.

Golite Tarp/Poncho or another used 6'x9' tarp converted $50
    Large garbage bag for bivy bottom or ground sheet for legs $Free
    Garbage bag used as pack liner for top ground cloth $Free
    6 Titanium 'V' stakes $15 (already picked them up on sale a year ago)
    Hot pink plastic line $3
    9' Noseeum bug netting $10
    Momentum jacket made from 2 yard scrap and Marmot Ion pattern $25
    Boonie hat $10
    Short pole for making tarp into a 'Monk' tarp $8

All of that for about $120 and I could probably cut it down to $100 if I look for sales.

jim draucker
    BPL Member

@mtnjim

Locale: Shenandoah Valley VA

Hello

I like the way you think. I own/use alot of expensive gear. I can also appreciate being thrifty.However knowledge is priceless. I spend alot of time teaching young
    people how to survive in the outdoors. Primarily with Boy Scouts and Venture Scouts. Having at least two large trash bags or 55 gal drumliners with you whenever you go out can be very handy. I also agree with going as light as
    possible and leaving a minimal footprint on the environment.
    Thanks Jim

Pamela Wyant

@riverrunner

Let me know where you are getting the free trash bags. I'd like some.

Are you planning on using a garbage bag on top of your sleeping bag? Your insulation will soon be soaked from condensation.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

Usually I just get the trash bags from work. I recycle a lot of the stuff there so they are only happy to give me trash bags.

As for condensation, if it is warm I don't use a bag and just put on some expedition weight tights. With a bag I have not seen any problems yet for huge amounts of condensation but then again I will air out my bag in the middle of the day. This is with me putting my legs inside the bag to get the wind or rain splatter off of them. And even though everyone says that bivies made out of waterproof and windproof 'breathable material' work great, I find that not to be the case so much.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

And the garbage bag use use for the top can also be your rain skirt. The momentum jacket is highly water resistant also so you can leave the shelter if you need to.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools