Topic

Burning Everclear–Healthier?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Burning Everclear–Healthier?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

You can get it in Reno.

–B.G.–

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

I will repost something that I've written before:

As for fuel, ethanol has a much higher energy density than methanol. The larger the alcohol (i.e. the more carbons), the dirtier it tends to burn though. Methanol, the simplest alcohol, has a low energy density, but burns very cleanly.

Methanol is CH3
    Ethanol is C2H5OH
    Propanol is C3H7OH There are two forms.
    Butanol is C4H9OH There are four forms.

5-carbon alcohol (pentanol a.k.a. Amyl alcohol) is a possibility too.

Energy densities (Specific energy (MJ/kg))
    Methanol 19.7
    Ethanol 30
    Propanol 33.5
    Butanol 36.6
    Gasoline 46.4 (not an alcohol)

As you can see, methanol has a very low energy density. The larger
    alcohols are “better” fuels in that respect. Ounce for ounce, butanol has almost twice the energy of methanol. But I think it’s going to leave a lot of soot, unless you have a very well-designed stove.

Traditionally, methylated spirits (meths) is around 90% ethanol/10% methanol. The term meths is not used in the US, and I don’t think it is readily available in the US in the form Europeans get.

There seems to be a wide variation in the formulation of “denatured”
    alcohols in the US. These generally are available in paint/hardware stores.

SLX Denatured Alcohol (45-50% Methanol/ 45-50% Ethanol )

Klean Strip Green Denatured Alcohol
    Ethanol Concentration at 90.0 – 100.0%

Klean Strip S-L-X Denaturated Alcohol is made of 50 – 55 % Methanol and only 45 – 50 % ethanol.

Sunnyside
    Ingredient CAS# Percent
    Ethyl Alcohol 64-17-5 86%
    Methyl Alcohol 67-56-1 3.60%
    Ethyl Acetate 141-78-6 1%
    Solvent Naphtha 64746-89-8 0.80%
    Methyl Isobutyl Ketone 67-56-1 1.90%

As far as I know, HEET is 100% methanol. So it burns very cleanly, but has a very poor energy density. If you are just going on an overnighter, it doesn’t matter. But if you are going on an extended trip, fuel efficiency matters.

I still think there is still room for a lot of improvement in alcohol stove design, especially with stoves designed for propanol and longer alcohols. To compete with canister stoves (propane/iso-butane), I think the longer alcohols should be explored.

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

I've done some reading of MSDSs for US denatured alcohol. From this reading, I'd guess that everclear would be healthier than HEET or denatured alcohol. Generally denatured alcohols have some combination of methanol, ethanol and some fairly nasty other chemicals. Methanol is generally less healthy than ethanol. The additives may be much less healthy than either, but it can be hard to find out much about the health effects of these additives.

HEET contains 99% methanol and 1% 'proprietary ingredient', according to the MSDS:
    http://www.imperialinc.com/msds0055060.shtml
    Isn't it somewhat hard to get it to 99% alcohol? This would not be the first MSDS I've read that is inaccurate.

Of course, alcohol stoves produce significant amounts of carbon monoxide:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/stoves_tents_carbon_monoxide_pt_4.html

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

Thank you for correcting me about HEET. I didn't think of looking for material safety data sheets (MSDS) for it.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Roger,

I'm a confirmed ESBIT/FireLite user, especially now that I have a Caldera Cone Sidewinder stove.

Q. Are the fumes from ESBIT toxic and if so what are they?

(They couldnt' be as bad as the old U.S. military Trioxane tab fumes!) GAAK!

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools