Topic

BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews BPL Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

The Backpacking Light Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody

The need for a single, functional, highly versatile garment that minimized layering changes during the Arctic 1000 expedition inspired Ryan Jordan to create the Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody. The man is a genius! The Hoody is divine.

I ordered both the Hoody and Backpacking Light Merino UL Long John Pant late Tuesday and received them Friday. That's fantastic service. I used the free shipping coupon. Happy Holidays!

After a test this morning, the Backpacking Light Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody instantly became one of the most versatile pieces of my clothing system. As claimed, I found it to be warm, comfortable and provide excellent functionality. The neck zipper regulates temperature well, the balaclava-style warmth-retaining hood is superb, and the thumb loops are quite nice.

I'm 5'11" and about 185 lb. The fit was not tight, and not loose. Was quite comfortable for me. I have long arms so I really like the thumb loops.

It was 27 degrees F when I started and 33 at end. Slight wind. I wore the Hoody, Long John Pant, synthetic shorts, warm socks, and Terrocs. I headed out with a Coolpix and snotrag in my pocket. It was a great sensation – so light – so warm – so comfortable. I walked fast. After about 30 minutes I lowered the zip a bit. Later it got a bit sunny and I pulled back the hood. During the last 15 minutes, I slowed down and pulled the hood back over my head. It is definitely well worth its price. Beg, borrow or beg more to get one. Go hungry, go homeless, but get the Hoody!

I'm looking forward to taking the Hoody out into the wild with my backpack in the not too distant future.

Backpacking Light Beartooth Merino Wool Hoody Size Large 8.7 oz.

Backpacking Light Merino UL Long John Pant Size Large 3.8 oz.

Al Shaver
    BPL Member

@al_t-tude

Locale: High Sierra and CA Central Coast

5/5 for meeting all of the unbelievable performance claims for merino wool. Cool when it's hot, warm when it's cold, virtually no stink build-up after days of sweaty use, no scratchiness, nice hand and cozy feel. Hood is very convienient and warm for it's weight.

3/5 for sizing. I'm 5'9" 190 lbs. stocky and long torso. The small is a perfect fit (I normally wear a large or sometimes a medium) but tail is WAY too short. Med tail is longer (I add snaps to attach tails to wool long johns), but a bit loose around torso.

Patrick Young
    BPL Member

@lightingboy

Locale: Midwest

I'm 5'10" 165-175lbs depending on the time of year and find the medium to fit very well. The merino has a really nice feel next to the skin.

The hood fits nicely around my head and face. There is a little bagginess around the neck but this doesn't affect the function.

The thumbloops are very well constructed and since the material is thin enough they fit in my gloves.

No stink after several days of use. Works well with my windshirt in cooler weather. In fact I take these 2 down to 15-20F when there is little wind. If it's windy I switch out the windshirt for my softshell and have taken that combination to 8F so far with slight chill to my torso when done hiking.

I would buy this again, In fact I sold my TNF Impulse Hoody which I thought worked pretty well because this was superior.

The price made it even better, I got it at 40% off.

Update: Took this on a 3 day hike on the AZ trail in the spring of '09 with highs in the 70's and was comfortable by unzipping and pulling the sleeves up. I even kept the hood on for sun protection when sun exposure was high. I find that the optimal range for this piece is 10-65F. I'll either add a wool t-shirt or use Patagonia R1 Flash Hoody below 10F.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Cool enough in 82F weather, warm in cool weather. Hood replaces light cap and light baclava. One piece of gear replaces several single items!

Sizing is not 'standard.' But… if you review the measurements on BPL, you will get the right size by purchasing based on your measurements. I purchased a small, and it is the only size small I own (5'11" / 150lb). I usually wear a medium and sometimes a large shirt.

You need to add this to your gear list.

Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

I got this for a packrafting trip in June, in Montana. Used it for layering and temperature control, and I loved it. The softness was easy on my sensitive skin, it kept me warm when needed, was cool when needed, and I can wear it around town and be completely comfortable.

I like the hem length, the sleeves are plenty long (though I do not care for the thumb loop – I have a hard enough time keeping my cuffs clean without such a thing), and while I rarely use the hood on ANY of my hoodies, I like that this one is so functional and warms my chin when zipped, which mattered when sleeping outside again for the first time in an age. And I really like the color!

Bill Poett

@wpoettaol-com

Locale: Santa Barbara

I received this for Christmas last year and I probably have 25 days of hard use on it.

Huge temperature range comfortable to 70 F and ideal base layer for snow camping. Extremely comfortable against the skin, love the length and thumb loops. Hood fits really well. Still looks and fits great. One of my favorite pieces of gear, I really don't leave home without it!

Joseph Scalia

@jscalia

Locale: NorthEast

I agree with all the above posts regarding temperature control, odor management, comfort, etc. I presently have two hoodies that I have been using over the past year and half. Both have small holes developing along the arms and back area. I am not sure if this is from normal abrasion or from thorn snags. I am happy with the loose fit and color scheme of the gray/green panels. You can wear this in a casual setting without standing out too much. The tighter fitting merino baselayers available by IO, icebreaker and ibex look a little more conspicuous due to the snug fit. I do wish that the material were more durable. I would give it a 5 for that.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools