Topic

which tarp poles?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) which tarp poles?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jay Trent

@jay590

Locale: blue mountains, Australia

which ones would be better MLD tarp oles or gossamer gear poles? Both are carbon fibre and look the same its just the gossamer gear ones are a fraction lighter.

Jay

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

find and use sticks on the trail if you can :)

Jay Trent

@jay590

Locale: blue mountains, Australia

That's what I was planning on doing but found these and was thinking that sticks may damage a cuben tarp.

Jay

Robert C
    BPL Member

@beenay25

Locale: Midwest

Tie a clove hitch in a guy line, wrap it around the stick. Tie one end of the guy line to your tarp, tie the other end to a stake. The stick never touches your tarp. This is what I do, but with trekking poles.

That's probably not the most clear explanation. Here's a quick sketch.,

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

Thanks for elaborating. That's what I had in mind. We are assuming sticks are available. Where I camp, there are more sticks than…. well, you can shake a stick at.

Robert C
    BPL Member

@beenay25

Locale: Midwest

Don't forget about tree trunks. I almost always tie one end of my tarp to a tree and use a trekking pole for the other end, though for someone not using trekking poles, this is where the use of sticks would come in handy. Even if you can only find short sticks, then you can tie the head end of the tarp to the tree and use the stick for at the foot end (assuming an A-frame pitch).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools