Topic

SnowPeak Gigapower LI

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews SnowPeak Gigapower LI

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mike Maurer

@maurer

Locale: Oregon

Just got the new LI – 10.4 oz in the bag supplied by Snowpeak. Sets up fast and easy, lights easy. very nice folding system. No beta on gas needed to melt 1 liter of snow. Anyone out there have any field experience with this stove yet? I won't be able to get into the mountains until Mid December.Wouldn't mind knowing what fuel needs I would have for snow melting. If I'm the first, I'll take lots of fuel and report back when I get home.

Mike

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

At 2.5 oz. you can not complain about weight are any thing else. I can not see are feel anything wrong with this stove. I have been useing my stove for some 5 years and have not had any problems with it at all. It is like the Eveready Bunny- It just keeps cookin and cookin. Only down side- I wish Snowpeak would make a lighter Titanium windscreen- current windscreen ways almost 3oz. I am sure there is a lighter material out there. This is a High-End Quality Canister Stove. Worth the $$$$$

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

The only drawback for this stove was the lack of a windscreen, such that it did not perform efficiently in windy conditions. The manufacturer's screen sold separately is stainless steel, and on the heavy side. So I took off the bottom of a titanium pot I did not intend to use, and cut slots in it matching those on the stainless screen. Used a zip tool with a diamond wheel cutter for the slots, and a high speed drill bit for the hole. The screen weighs under an ounce and works well. The stove can now function efficiently in windy conditions, and the screen telescopes neatly into the bottom of my pot. But I expect the generation of Carbon Monoxide is probably greater, and take suitable precautions.

Warren G
    Spectator

@warreng

Locale: Santa Clara Valley

I agree with the reviews above, about the lack of a suitable OEM windscreen. Using a windscreen (described below) with this stove, even in a light breeze, will reduce boil times and fuel burned by about 25%.

I've made a simple windscreen out of heavy duty aluminum foil folded over three times, with a finished size of approximately 6" x 12". The windscreen goes snugly around the cooking container, but only about 270 degrees of the total around the pot-to keep the canister from heating up (check this often). After the pot is removed from the stove the foil windscreen can be fitted snug around the pot to maintain its warmth for further cooking or re-hydrating. Most of the time we don't bother to bring the water to a full boil, as this isn't essential for most meals that use water for cooking or re-hydrating.

The stove's flame size is easily adjustable to cover only the bottom of the pot being used, and still lower for simmering.

With average air temperatures in the low 50's, we are able to boil (bubbles just beginning to rise from the bottom of the pot) approximately 6-7 liters of water from one small (7oz) fuel canister.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools