Topic

Favorite Adventure Shoe?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Favorite Adventure Shoe?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Cory Smith

@endurefun

For years, I used the Nike Air Orizaba because it was a good combination of my three most important criteria: good traction, good cushioning, and good stability (low profile). I also liked that it drained water really well and was light-weight. But Nike has given up on the adventure shoe category, and I have struggled to find a good replacement. I would like to hear your thoughts.

I will use the shoe primarily for fast mountain hiking and running in Alaska (pack weight ranging from zero up to 25 lbs). This means tundra running, rock scrambling, mud bogging, and bushwhacking, as well as some on-trail use.

I tried a pair or Salomon XA Pros for a while, and really liked the stability, but the traction was poor on wet tundra and mud. When I got sick of slipping and falling on my ass, I bought the most aggressive-soled shoe I could find – the Inov-8 Mudclaw 330-O. These shoes were great, except that the cushioning was non-existent and the huge lugs began to break off after a few uses. I also tried on the Inov-8 Roclite 295, but it felt sloppy – a different last than the 330-O.

Is it possible to find a good adventure shoe that has very good traction, good cushioning and decent stability? What do you recommend?

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

you might try a shoe with stealth rubber if you want wet traction. the 2 shoes that come to mind are 5/10 and Vasque.

Im looking for the same qualities in a shoe that you are, with the addition of low cost. I sometimes will try on a shoe at an outdoor store, and then find them later on sale or closeout. the latest pair i bought were fantastic and after several uses have proven their worth. got 'em for $36
    (retail at REI, $100 usd)
    well anyway, stealth rubber is great but the tradeoff is life. i never had a lug fall off like the (imo super-overrated inov8) but the stealth will wear down much faster if you hike on hard rocks and soil like i do. if you can accept that there is no perfect shoe, your options open up tremendously. still, id rather wear the Dunlop KTs if I could find them.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

Interesting. Like you I have been looking for good traction, cushioning, and stability in a light shoe. I own a pair of Salomon XA 3D Pros which I really like except for it performance on wet rock. I guess I have made some record in slipping and it has become a standing joke. At first I began to feel something is wrong with me but after a some research I found that the problem is in the sole! :)

I have been looking at Roclite 285 & X-Talon 212 (212 gms!). Both have sticky rubber compound sole unlike endurance rubber compound sole in 295 & 330-O. I have read that soft sticky rubber wears out fast so I am waiting for a good deal to come by.

Another option I am looking at is FiveFingers Flow.
    Whether ChiRunning in colder temperatures or crossing a stream with your kayak, the new FiveFingers Flow provides comfortable barefoot protection. A 1.2mm Neoprene lining and 2mm EVA footbed provide the thermal insulation and protection. And our new GM50 performance rubber (available only in black) is razor-siped for added slip resistance over a variety of surfaces.

Take a look at the materials:
    UPPER – 1.2 mm Neoprene & Hypalon® straps
    BLACK SOLE- Vibram GM-50 grip rubber
    FOOTBED- Antimicrobial microfiber

None of the material used absorb much water which means no soggy shoes in rain! And lets talk about ounce saving and multiuse:
    >shoes in cool weather
    >no socks needed
    >can be used inside winter boots or down booties as VB socks
    >camp shoes
    >many more which I haven't thought of yet!

Hope this helps.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> still, id rather wear the Dunlop KTs if I could find them.

RIGHT ON!

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Then, I like Montrail. The CTC fits your criteria. I use it and the Hardrock depending on the trip.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools