Topic

Backpacking Light Merino UL Pants

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews Backpacking Light Merino UL Pants

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Margaret Snyder
    BPL Member

@jetcash

Locale: Southern Arizona

So soft and warm! I wear these on rainy days of trail work in ID under my rain pants on a regular basis. Very comfy with no chafing seams so you can go commando in them. Being a girl I like the fact that there isn't a fly on them.

Backpacking they are the perfect sleepwear and did me well in Glacier NP down to 35-40F in my MH Phantom 32 in a tent.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

The pants are light and comfortable. I like to wear them under running shorts. I plan to integrate them into my clothing system for cool through cold weather.

They were also nice under Precip pants.

Al Shaver
    BPL Member

@al_t-tude

Locale: High Sierra and CA Central Coast

The wool seems to live up to all the hype for comfort and warmth, but mine came with a small hole in the inside thigh. I received them as a wrapped gift from my family, so didn't inspect them 'till the holidays. Tried to exchange them 31 days after order was made but was refused.

Am concerned that hole in high abrasion area will seriously compromise garment. Improved Q.C. in production and receiving will help with this problem.

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

Test period – 40 days in Colorado Rockies. GF has the BPL merino UL tights, I have Icebreaker merino tights (yes, they weigh substantially more, but still under 200 grams).

At the end of the period, she has a run on one leg and a growing hole in the crotch. I have no wear.

Approximately 50 days of wear later in city conditions she now has multiple holes, and mine are still new looking.

In other words, these tights do their job well, but wear out quickly. In my opinion, it makes more sense to buy a slightly heavier, but slightly warmer product for the same amount of money and use it 3 times as long, than to buy the BPL tights.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

I use these for around camp and sleep wear, so have not (yet) had any problems with durability. For my main use they are simply brilliant. This merino is the frist wool I've found that isn't itchy. It feels more like silk than wool! They definitely run on the small side though, so size up generously if you're going to give them a try.

Aaron Zuniga

@gliden2

Locale: Northwest

These are a great feelin, lightweight base layer. I have used them under wind and insulated pants with great success, and they never get stinky! The only downside is they run and tear a little too easily…quality could definetly be better-Not to impressive to see holes after second use. I would definetly not buy these again

Kathleen B

@rosierabbit

Locale: Pacific Northwest

These do everything BPL promised – provide comfortable warmth without being bulky. I've worn them under non-winter hiking pants all winter, and they've extended the comfort range down to 7 degrees F.

Mine have developed a few runs, but I'm not alarmed and don't consider it a quality issue. They still work just fine and will last quite a while longer. BPL did say "They are less durable than a synthetic (nylon or polyester) garment of a similar weight, and require the utmost care in washing for maximum life expectancy." After all, I know the stockings I wear to work will eventually get runs, and I don't consider that a quality issue.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools