Topic

TNF Diad

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews TNF Diad

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

In summary, a well designed, lightweight, but not spartan, rain jacket. The jacket is a 2008 product in TNF's Flight Series. In men's size large it weighs 8.9 ounces.

I am 6'-1" and 190 pounds. The fit is appropriate for large with a couple of layers of warm wool underneath, but would be snug with a poofy down garment underneath. OK for sitting around camp but constrictive for active pursuits. I would suggest, if you are between large and extra large, go with the extra large.

The material is light weight, but not delicate, called Hyvent DT. I have an older pair of TNF rain pants made of this material which has proved to be quite durable and waterproof. It is a bit noisy but well within normal expectation for rainwear.

The hood is well designed with a substantial, generously sized brim, much appreciated by eyeglass wearers. It has two cinch cords on each side of the chin plus one in the back for adjusting volume. I am not a rock climber but, I believe a minimal helmet would fit under it comfortably. My Giro .9 full ski helmet is a very tight squeeze. The good news is that the hood allows you to turn your head far to the side without blocking your vision.

There are several ventilation options. First, there is a full front zip. It is not a waterproof zipper but the teeth are tightly constructed and there is a substantial storm flap on the inside. This system seems to be effective while eliminating the fiddle factor associated with waterproof zippers. The top of the Zipper has a fabric zipper guard to protect the neck.

Ventilation is also enhanced by a 6" long pit-zip under each arm. In addition, there are two front pockets, each measuring 9"x10" with a 6" zipper. The inside of these pockets is made of mesh, providing more ventilation with the pocket open. There is an additional 6"x9" chest pocket with a 6" zipper that is not ventilated. Finally, ventilation can be adjusted at the wrists by opening and closing the opening with the attached velcro adjuster.

The jacket is well constructed. The seams are either electronically welded or taped with skinny tape. There is a cinch cord on each side of the waist hem. The front of the hem long enough to completely protect the waistline but not so long as to inhibit leg movement. The back has a generous drop hem that will offer all the protection you will ever need.

The only downside is it's not as breathable as a cotton tee shirt. Actually, while I don't dispute laboratory measurements, I cannot tell the difference among any of the fabrics when I'm hiking, including an eVent jacket that I own. So, to me, breathability is all about ventilation options and this jacket has several.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools