Topic

MLD 12 oz. Spirit Quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews MLD 12 oz. Spirit Quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Douglas Durham
    BPL Member

@djdurham

Last weekend I went on an 18 mile overnighter on the AT in southwestern Virginia. The elevation gain and loss was a little over 7000 feet. The daytime temperatures were roughly in the high 70s; and at night it got down just below 60.

I used four items from Mountain Laurel Designs. The Ark pack, the Soul side zip Event top bivy, and the silnylon poncho, and the Spirit Quilt.

The Spirit quilt weighs 12 oz or so and uses 2.5 oz. Climashield insulation.

The night temperature went just a little bit below 60. Thus, I cannot speak to its temperature range on the downside. However I was quite warm with no insulating clothing. I think with an insulated top and a hat or balaclava one could be warm down into the mid-40s, easily. Like the other heavier quilt offered by MLD (see my earlier review), the foot box is created by snapping up the bottom of the quilt. Thus, if you unsnap the quilt, it will lay out completely flat, a useful feature not found in those quilts with sewn in foot boxes.

I like to sit out in the evenings and watch the night sky. I find it useful to be able to drape the quilt around me as the temperature drops. It is easier to drape a quilt without a sewn in foot box.

Again, for me the attractive feature is the very light weight for a pretty warm quilt that you can open up completely.

alan york
    BPL Member

@alanyork9

Locale: PIEDMONT N.C.

I used the Spirit 45 quilt with Momentum foot for my recent Alaskan Hayes Range traverse.Andrew Skurka recomended this quilt or the 30 degree version that he used on his 6 month AK loop.It was perfect for the wet,humid conditions(much like the South East USA).The small weight penalty vs. a down bag makes this a no brainer insurance policy against the cold!Never needed a bivy inside a single wall shelter.Was quick to dry by the fire or 20 min. of sunshine.Thanks for making great products like this one that make my hikes safer and more comfortable.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools