Topic

Integral Designs Salathe bivy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews Integral Designs Salathe bivy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Glenn Roberts

@garkjr

Locale: Southwestern Ohio

Although some might rate this a 4 because it weighs nearly 2 pounds, I think the weight is worth it. It features full waterproof-breathable coverage, a waist-length opening fully backed by mesh (to the waist – a real boon on hot, buggy, humid midwestern summer nights), a wire-stiffened hood (but no poles), and plenty of roll-around room.

It performs, period – like most gear from Integral Designs. So, why the 5 when it weighs so much? Because I never use a bivy sack without a tarp for backup in the rain (you have to get out of it sometime to pack or cook, after all.) The bombproof quality of this sack means I can get by with a much smaller tarp – an 8-ounce, 5×8 siltarp with 4 stakes (lean-to pitch) instead of a 20-ounce 8×10 siltarp with 8 stakes. I can confidently let the foot end stick out in the rain, and don't have to really try to control the mist blowing in around the tarp edges. The 12 ounce weight savings very nearly compensates for the 14 or 15 ounces less weight in similar bivies (such as the REI Minimalist, which requires the larger tarp.) While I find the lighter weight bivy is the one I often grab, I still like the Salathe a lot – and may eventually make it my primary bivy year round.

Jeremy Lynn Franchow

@jfranchow

Locale: The Great Basin

I second everything Glenn said above.

I purchased this two years ago, before I really started getting into truly lightweight gear(Salathe Bivy=34 oz.) I’m eyeing a Tarptent but until then this is my “good enough” primary mountain shelter. I use the bivy as a stand alone shelter, without a tarp, on 5 day treks or shorter.

Had a big storm front come in at 11000′, Titcomb Basin(Wind Rivers), in September, above treeline. Poured sheets of rain for 10 hours the first night, broke during the day, then poured rain and changed to snow(6 inches total) the second night. At first, I had some trouble with the velcro closures at the top of the bag and had some leakage, but otherwise was just slightly damp on the inside from a small amount of condensation. It kept me dry and warm during both downpours and snowfall.

A third night of cold, moist weather did lead to an increasingly damp sleeping bag, proving the bivy sack is not ideal as a stand-alone shelter for multiple days out.

On warm nights with mosquitos and no wind, the waist-length mesh’s ventilation has been a godsend. The flexible, wire-stiffened hood keeps the bivy away from my face.

Certainly not the lightest bivy out there, it is one of the most protean and performs as advertised.

Nate White

@backpacker134

i third that…i looked bivy when i started, then end up buying a tent instead. i got off ebay. the long version, for extra room at the end to store boots to stay dry,etc. but i really never used it out in the open yet. i have slept in my back yard and in a lean-too. both times i hade the bug net covering me with the rest of it rolled. i liked it keep me warm, and save the sleeping baq. but i did notice that the wire gets missed shaped after awhile like mine. i got it used. thats why i gave it a 4.

i bought to reduce weight…. worth every penny. i am going to be trying to copy that bivy model with event material.

Nat Lim

@lithiummetalman

Locale: Cesspool Central!

I've been using this sack since 2002. It was my stand alone shelter for about 4 years.

In general I find it overkill for summertime usage (equinox bivy for summer) but for all other times of the season it rocks!!!

As in terms of waterproofness, It is quite waterproof having braved overnite to consecutive days (3 days in a row non-stop) storms during winter in both snow and rain. (Seam sealing helped as well)

As in terms of condensation, not an issue only if ventilation is controlled in conjunction with hood and wire stiffner (hard to explain).

The only quirp I have is that the fit and fabric weight of the bivy can actually restrict loft of a high lofting down sleeping bag, and find that the bivy is much better suited for synthetic sleeping bags.

Weight wise, yes there is lighter, my equniox is at least pound and several ounces lighter; however, for a bombproof shelter that is easy to deal with (less fuss, less worry) the salathe has been absolutely fantastic!

Everett Vinzant
    BPL Member

@wn7ant

Locale: CDT

I was completely satisfied with this bivy. When it rained outside, I had no worries. It was great to have the cover down at night and look out at the stars (mosquito free). My only possible complaint, is that you have to pack it when you're not in it. If the wind picks up, this will blow away. I've bought one, and am considering one for my son. Purchase of this product is an investment.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools