Topic

MLD XP Quilt 21 0z. Climashield

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews MLD XP Quilt 21 0z. Climashield

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Douglas Durham
    BPL Member

@djdurham

I went camping in the mid-Atlantic region two weekends ago, using the Patrol Shelter, the Soul Bivy, and the XP 21 oz. quilt. The weather forecast called for light rain. Naturally, the rain was torrential, with heavy winds of approximately 40 miles an hour.

I used the large quilt which weighs 21 ounces. The temperature did not get below 47° Fahrenheit so I cannot speak to lower temperatures. However, despite the rain and humidity the quilt was dry.

You can open it up completely flat, if you wish so that it avoids the problem of sewn in foot beds.

I have not discussed the product specifics here because they are fully described on the Mountain Laurel Designs web page. The take-home message is: Another very well-made Ron Bell product– light, well-made and easy to use.

Harlan Bruce

@gbruce

Locale: DFW MetroPlex

I have the winter weight version of this quilt in the large size. It is more than long enough for me at 5' 11' and I could even scrunch my head underneath if needed.

I have used the quilt for three nights only so far. The temps were from 45-38. I was toasty warm at 38 and too warm at 45.

Very well made with light but good quality fasteners.

The temp ratings that Ron state appear to me to be right on. I would pick the lowest weight quilt I really needed – and base the choice of weight on Ron's guide on the web site. I got the heaviest weight because I really like being extra warm.

I found that as the temp drops, the straps need to be tightened – as intended – to seal the quilt underneath. I was sleeping in high winds in my Tarptent Rainbow which vents really well around the bottom – maybe too much so in such winds. The quilt dealt with these conditions very well by tightening the straps.

The design of the top which snaps around the back of the neck and has light elastic cord to tighten the neck works really well.

It is a MUST to have good head insulation such as a BMW UL 60 balaclava to go with this. The two work very well together.

It did take Ron a long time to deliver my quilt, but he did so prior to my stated need date for my Thanksgiving trip to Big Bend.

As to be expected for synthetics, compressibility is an issue – although when placed in a Sea-to-Summit event bag – size large – and compressed forcefully, it would fit inside the sleeping bag compartment of my pack. In order to not abuse the insulation more than necessary, I minimally compressed it and carried it strapped outside. This will continue to be my practice except when bushwhacking Big Bend where I would crank it down to fit inside my pack for protection against the hostile plant life. While compressing the quilt so much is not good for the insulation loft, the good thing is that it _will_ compress this much when really needed.

The disadvantage of the volume of the quilt is more than met by the fact that it can still be effective when wet. Ray-Way for the win.

The quilt appears to me to have a very good weight-to-warmth factor.

Outstanding gear.

Michael Cheifetz
    BPL Member

@mike_hefetz

Locale: Israel

I have older 2009 XP model (as opposed to the Spirit) with 2.5 Osy Climashield.
    This would correspond to the 48F model he has.
    I have the wide model + eVent strip at head and footbox.
    Carftsmenship and materials: The quilt is well made – seams are in place, all hardware fastened well. Materials chosen seem to be top notch – eVent, Climashield, etc
    Design and function:
    Smart design – can open flat but also cinches down really well (via snap, omnitape and straps. Footbox plug is a nice touch. I have the wide and use it alone or as overbag over LW down mummy bag.
    The loops sewn along the primeter and at neck allow for running shockcord thus allowing "elastic" cinching if used over another bag when it would be hard to cinch via straps.
    Compressibility is good for its class (continuous filament) but of course not anything like down.
    Temp rating – I'd say the 48 that Ron has is right on. i have used it down to about 40F with LW puffy, good socks and hat. Obviously, as others mentioned you need real head gear if you want to push it.

Have used it under tarp alone, tarp+bivi and just bivi. Windproofness seems good and seal is pretty tight with wide model and straps.

Customer service: Ron has been very cooperative in all our transactions….but he is NOT super quick in turnaround time.

All in all – good stuff for fair price.

Michael Cheifetz
    BPL Member

@mike_hefetz

Locale: Israel

I have older 2009 XP model (as opposed to the Spirit) with 2.5 Osy Climashield.
    This would correspond to the 48F model he has.
    I have the wide model + eVent strip at head and footbox.
    Carftsmenship and materials: The quilt is well made – seams are in place, all hardware fastened well. Materials chosen seem to be top notch – eVent, Climashield, etc
    Design and function:
    Smart design – can open flat but also cinches down really well (via snap, omnitape and straps. I have the wide and use it alone or as overbag over LW down mummy bag.
    The loops sewn along the primeter and at neck allow for running shockcord thus allowing "elastic" cinching if used over another bag when it would be hard to cinch via straps.
    Compressibility is good for its class (continuous filament) but of course not anything like down.
    Temp rating – I'd say the 48 that Ron has is right on. i have used it down to about 40F with LW puffy, good socks and hat. Obviously, as others mentioned you need real head gear if you want to push it.

Have used it under tarp alone, tarp+bivi and just bivi. Windproofness seems good and seal is pretty tight with wide model and straps.

Customer service: Ron has been very cooperative in all our transactions….but he is NOT super quick in turnaround time.

All in all – good stuff for fair price.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools