Topic

Jam2 Main Pack volume?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Jam2 Main Pack volume?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ERIC PAYNE
    Spectator

@vaporjourney

Locale: Greater Gila

Everywhere I look, the only number I can find on the Jam is that the total capacity is 3200 cubes. How much of this does the main pack body consist of? The side pockets look small, as does the front zippered pocket. I'd like to see how the main body compares in size to a ULA conduit.

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

never mind sorry.

Gail Lusk

@alohatink

Locale: In the Middle of No Where!

On average most sites say there is 2800 cu. in. volume and the remaining 200-300 cu. in. is in the pockets.

I think it all depends on which size you order.
    Capacity:

* M – 2600 cu in.
    * L – 3300 cu. in.

http://www.backcountry.com/store/GOL0158/GoLite-Jam-2-Pack-3000-cu-in.html?CMP_ID=SH_FRO001&CMP_SKU=GOL0158&mv_pc=r126

Gail Lusk

@alohatink

ERIC PAYNE
    Spectator

@vaporjourney

Thanks for posting that. I now know that this is wayyy too much volume for me. And I thought the MLD Zip had too much volume! What to do when you have a 8.5 lb base weight, with 8 lbs of food, and 4 L of water? That all sounds like a lot on paper, but when packed, my gear takes up very little space. Occasionally I'll have to max the weight of the pack out at 25 lbs, so I need something that can take this amt of weight just in case. The Jam2 would be great, but It'd have to be waayy too compressed 65% of the time to remain comfy.

Gail Lusk

@alohatink

Your welcome…I have the original Jam and love it.
    Bear in mind you could use up the excess space with not compressing your gear so small.
    I know your sleeping bag alone would thank you :)

oops maybe I misunderstood you. Sorry

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Gail makes a good point about not stuffing your sleeping bag, as this is how Gossamer Gear suggests loading their packs. Just put it in a large plastic bag and let it occupy a larger space in the bottom of your pack.

ERIC PAYNE
    Spectator

@vaporjourney

I definitely agree with leaving your sleeping bag as uncompressed as possible. I have started to put both my sleeping bag and synthetic jacket inside of my bivy and store that loosely at the bottom of my pack. I still find that the weight of everything else tends to push it down so it doesn't take up as much space as I'd like. Still, it's better than a hard cylinder at the bottom of the pack.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools