Topic

Therm-A-Rest Ridgerest

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews Therm-A-Rest Ridgerest

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Richard

@fairweather8588

Locale: The Desert

One of the workhorses of backpacking since it was released, this sleeping pad combines lost cost, durability, and relative comfort like the ridgerest. I'm not scared to strap it on the outside of my pack and drag it through the worst of what the Arizona desert can give, something that would render any self inflating pad useless, and in need of dozens of patches. After having to put up with a leaking Prolite 3 on one cold night, my next move was to replace for most of my hikes with the Ridgerest. And at only 9 oz for a small, the weight is far more convincing then my Prolite 3

Margaret Snyder
    BPL Member

@jetcash

Locale: Southern Arizona

I upgraded to this 3/4 length pad from the GG nightlight torso pad. The nightlight just couldn't cut it for me. The ridgerest insulates better, is more comfortable and fits perfectly on my vapor trail. But it's twice the weight. No compromises on a good night's sleep.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

This has been my "go-to" sleeping pad for many years on the PCT. I've tried a variety of others but keep returning to this little beauty.

It does a great job of insulating one from the ground. I've had it on snow, Sierra granite, and hot desert sands without incident. I never have to worry about punctures (every see the hypodermic tips of what passes for leaves on a Joshua tree?) and trying to find a tiny hole that once found, invariably turns out to be in a virtually irrepairable spot.

I find it takes a couple of nights to get my body re-adjusted to using it. My big Agnes Insulated air core pad is MUCH more comfortable (albeit at the cost of 24 ounces). My technique is to walk for 10 to 12 hours every day so when it's time to go to bed, I'm pooped. Fatigue helps overcome any initial lack of squishy comfort.

Like any non-inflatable pad, bulk is its biggest drawback. The full length Ridgerest is even fatter when rolled. Fortunately, many modern UL frameless packs are designed to use 3/4 pads in their pad sleeve. Otherwise, you're stuck having to carry it externally and not all packs are set up to accomodate that. At least punctures and abrasion are not a concern.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I use a Ridgecrest with BPL Torsolite and the two make a great combination. I really like the width of the Ridgecrest and I cut the length to my own Ht. The Ridgecrest is very durable and can withstand many days on the trail. The Therma-Rest is a bit bulky but can handle any thing a trail dishes out. It is also multi-use item: Sit pad, knee pad, gear and clothes pad and of course a great full length sleeping pad. Highly Recommended

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

While this is def not a highly coveted drool inducing piece of kit, it is one of those items I never realized how much I depend on. Being 6'4" A torso sized pad is just not enough for me. But throw one of these suckers under a Torsolite and you have a durable cushy 4 season sleep system that is stomach sleeper freindly. The density of the pad also makes it very usable as the sole structure in a frameless pack. All in all hard to beat as it costs $20, can be found anywhere and weights only 8-9oz for my 3/4 version.

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Locale: Lake Tahoe

I buy a size regular and cut it into two 30" long sections and I believe they weigh 5oz. One pad will last me for about 1200 miles before I replace it–though the replaced pad still has life left in it, it goes to my dog. I also use it as my virtual pack frame, so that 'ages' the pad, too. I imagine that if I only used the pad for sleeping, I could use it for twice as long.

The ridges do increase the temperature, the foam seems to resist flattening out as quick as generic blue foam pads, it costs less than GG pads (especially when buying a larger pad to cut into two), waterproof.

I keep coming back to this pad whenever I try to find a new pad.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I use a cut-down 48" Ridgerest on every trip. Bombproof, comfy, light, cheap. In winter, I add a full length under it.

I actually sleep better on this than most inflatables, but realize I'm in the minority.

Brandon Sanchez

@dharmabumpkin

Locale: San Gabriel Mtns

It is one of the lightest, it is indestructable and warm. It is the only pad Ive ever used or needed. After one or two nights you get used to sleeping on it. Anything more than a foam mattress is a luxury item.

Jacob Vink
    Spectator

@javink

This is not the most comfortable sleeping pad you'll find. In fact, inflatable pads are much more comfortable.

Then again, I got it on sale at moosejaw for $12. And it weighs about 9oz. For that price and weight, I'm not sure I've found anything more reliable and durable. I've beat the daylights out of this thing and use it for breaks, eating, and any other time I end up on the ground.

Overall, not the most comfortable, but a great pad.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools