Topic

Titanium Goat AGP AGP

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews Titanium Goat AGP AGP

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Titanium Goat AGP

Josh & Doug have improved the AGP product. See details from their web site below. I've used them since September 2007 on trails ranging from the AT to Yosemite. They are ultra light (a bit over 3 oz each) and perform exceptionally well.

In addition to offering a great quality product, Titanium Goat provides excellent customer service. During a hike as I was adjusting a pole as I was crossing a road, I pulled the two sections apart, and dropped one of two small washers. It fell on the road and blended into the surface. It was near a curve so crawling around to find it was not an option. I contacted Josh & Doug and they mailed me extra washers.

The AGP product is a great value: excellent performance and light weight for a fair price.

From http://www.titaniumgoat.com/poles.html

Standard Features:
    -No slip adjuster
    -Lite weight EVA foam grips
    -High quality carbon fiber upper, and
    lower shafts
    -Standard trekking pole tips

The new adjustable Goat poles are a continuation, fusion, and refinement of the original goat poles and take down goat poles. These new poles adjust from 30" (76cm) to 51" (130cm) making them easier to attach to packs, adjust for terrain, or use for shelter poles. These full carbon poles have a unique adjustment mechanism. The adjuster operates in a conventional manner, clockwise to tighten, counter to loosen, but the materials used make them carbon compatible for superior holding power. This innovative adjuster utilizes full surface contact in conjunction with pliable materials that actually grip tighter when downward pressure is applied to the pole, yet they easily release when you want them to. At 3.2 oz a piece, these are as light as it gets.

Luis Ramos

@luisramos

Locale: Maryland

These poles are fantastic, – stong, super light, simple and easy to field repair. I received the poles with the grips not glued on as I requested. I'm looking to find grips similar to those on the GG poles.

Mike Saxton

@hokie

Echo all of the above comments! Additionally, their service is beyond superior. I have used both generations of the GC poles and now the Ti Goat poles. Enjoyed both of the previous ones, but the Ti Goats adjustable nature makes them hands down the winner combined with their superior strength. The recent development of hand straps also helps.

I am currently having these double as "spreader bars" to replace the aluminum spreader bars that come with the new JRB Bear Mtn Bridge hammock. Multi purpose use is much easier with adjustable poles.

They are so light weight, I find that it is easy to forget them and start hiking without picking them up. The carbon fiber blends into the background, so a little florescent orange duct tape on the shanks helps locate them more easily.

Daniel Strange

@strangdj

These poles are currently the holy grail of trekking poles. Lightweight, strong, and adjustable. They look incredible too, the wrapped carbon fiber gives it a very high tech look!

Mine Weigh 3.28 oz each without the 0.42 oz trekking basket. The optional straps add 0.25oz each. That's light!

So far I've only used them on a couple of day hikes. However they performed admirably. They are much stiffer than I expected. I've used "heavy duty" 10oz aluminum poles in the past and I can't say that these really felt any flimsier. I did end up taking the straps off… I didn't need them, and they just got in the way. I might put them back on in the winter when I start wearing mittens.

Pros:
    *Light
    *Adjustable
    *Strong
    *Made in the USA!

Cons:
    *The locking mechanism is a little finicky. (It does not slip, though). Take the time to read the directions and use a little common sense and you'll be OK. I wouldn't recommend these poles if you're the type who feels the need to adjust the length every 5 minutes or if you have the mechanical aptitude of a senile howler monkey. If you do manage to mess it up badly there are spare parts stored in one of the handles. Neat!

*The grips are a matter of personal taste I suppose. Personally I prefer omni-directional grips such as these. I usually keep my thumbs hooked over the tops anyway to I don't have any problem with holding onto them. Others might disagree.

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

I got these in a long version (I am 6'3'') and they weigh exactly 200 grams together. I have nothing bad to say about them. Once you get the hang of it the locking mechanism is easy to use and very reliable. I just used these on a week-long solo hike with high mileage and enjoyed their lightness. They seemed just as strong as my Leki classics, which weigh nearly 3 times as much. I am very satisfied.

adam brenner
    BPL Member

@adammbrennerhotmail-com

Locale: Olympics and Cascades

Just got them and tried them out. I agree with all of the above comments. Can't wait to take them on a prolonged trip. I'll report back.

Update. They performed great. Strong, superlight and able to bear my entire weight (180 lbs.) without collapsing. They did well in the snow as well (densely packed summer snow) despite the small baskets. They also worked great as the center tandem supports for a Megamid.

Buck Nelson
    BPL Member

@colter

Locale: Alaska

I used these poles on my CDT and PCT and Desert Trail hikes. I often hike with a single pole. These are not poles for people hard on gear. If you yank on them after jamming them in rocks, or fall on them, they are likely to break.

In all those thousands of miles I broke one pole and I don't know why; it shattered when I suddenly put weight on it. It seems likely it got accidentally stepped on at some point. I have upped my rating from 4 to 5 after using these poles on two more thru-hikes.

They are super light and plenty comfortable to use. The length adjustment works fine but would sometimes slip until I learned the "sweet spot," for tightening. (Too tight could split them.) I would suggest the manufacturer change the color of the grips or poles to make them show up better when lying on the ground.

The main downside to these poles are that the caps on the grip end of the poles fell off and the grips shrank and/or slipped slightly, leaving the end of the shaft cylinder sticking out a fraction of an inch.

These are nice, light poles for lightweight backpackers. I am pleased with them and unlike many other gear items I am not shopping for something better.

Keth Comollo

@bleemus

Locale: Vermont

Love these poles. Gonna add more in depth review soon.

I saw this comment….

"I am currently having these double as "spreader bars" to replace the aluminum spreader bars that come with the new JRB Bear Mtn Bridge hammock. Multi purpose use is much easier with adjustable poles"

Mike, if you still hang out here I would love to see a photo of how you accomplished this. I want to do the same with mine!

Sean Staplin
    BPL Member

@mtnrat

Locale: Southern Cdn Rockies

Strap Fit1Collapsed Size next to ULA CDTI have the latest version of these poles and they are as expected. I added the straps and camera mount. With all options added, and the baskets on, the weight came in at 8.4 oz. A little lighter than the 8.8 oz advertised. They adjust,snug up, and loosen easily. It is very simple to take these poles apart for cleaning and maintenance. As a hardcore skier I appreciate the simplicity and fit of the straps. Just what I was looking for. The grips fit and feel better than I expected. I will not be able to field test till spring so will give those impressions later.
    img alt=""Collapsed" src=""/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1292698477_34290.jpg"" />Strap Fit 2Camera Mount

UPDATE May 6th 2011

Just finished a hike and these poles performed flawlessly. I hiked solo in the Escalante area. I started going up Peekaboo slot, then overland to Early Weed Bench, down Fox Canyon to Twentyfive Mile Wash. Followed the wash to the Escalante River and then went down river to Coyote Gulch finishing by going up the Dry Fork of Coyote back to the car. A loop of some 75-80 miles in 4 days. This hike threw everything at these poles, from sand hiking to rocks, to thrashing through the thick canyon bush, to about a billion river crossings. Depending on the situ I would use or not use the straps. I found the grips great, (even though being very anal about using high end racing grips for my ski poles), I had had some misgivings on the design. They took a beating, up down or around and are so light that when you just felt like holding them along side it was painless. They never shortened by themselves, and locked and unlocked first time every time. In short I am impressed, especially as I was afraid them may prove too frail. :) Happy customer.

Gary L. Thompson
    BPL Member

@covah

Poles arrived timely and well packaged. Setup per instructions was easy.
    I have now used these poles for 50 hours and am very pleased. Advertised weight was accurate. They have survived a little rough use w/o problems.
    I consider these poles an excellent value.
    Gary

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

I used these poles on the JMT last summer and had no problems. They are extremely light and the grips and very comfortable. The locking system is smooth and flawless. I have used them in snow and miles of cross country bouldering and in talus. I love these poles.

I'm 6'0" and 185 – 200 lbs (depending on early vs late season) and used them A LOT to save my knees while descending 6,000 feet from Whitney twice. They have been caught in rocks along the trail with no problems. I have used them to support several different shelters, one time during a desert wind storm with 50 MPH wind gusts, . . . still no problem.

They are scratched from 100's of trail miles, AND last weekend I actually rescued one of them from the mouth of a marmot in the Sierras (he liked the grips).

Unfortunately while packing for another trip this morning I realized I must have left them at the trail head last weekend. I tried to order another pair, but they are currently out of stock.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools