Topic

Inov8 RocLite 318 GTX

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews Inov8 RocLite 318 GTX

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Peter Fogel
    Spectator

@pgfogel

Locale: Western Slope, Colorado

I love these shoes! I've found most Gore-Tex shoes to be somewhat stiff and heavy, but not these! They do run a bit small so order up a size. I've been running and snowshoeing in them every day for over two weeks now and I have to say, they are by far the best winter trail shoes I've ever owned. All I did was replace the insoles that came with the shoes for different pair to get that perfect fit, and I did. My feet never get wet, never get cold, never overheat, and I have never gotten so much as a single blister! Give these a look, If you need a winter waterproof trail shoe. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Well, I've had the opportunity to use these shoes on smooth granite rock this spring. I chose them because there are still some muddy wet conditions in the high country and these shoes have a GorTex XCR liner. I admit I was disappointed! Very slippery soles on the rocks, especially compared to some other sticky rubber options out there.

Great shoes in the winter, not so good on the rocks.

Stuart Allie

@stuart-allie

Locale: Australia

The Inov8 Roclite 318 GTX are my first lightweight bushwalking shoes. Until now I have used heavy solid leather boots so these shoes are a radical step for me. My boots weighed nearly 900 grams each, so I am saving around 1.1kg just by switching to the roclites.

The day after receiving them from zombierunner (cheapest way to get them in Australia) I wore them on a 5 hour day walk. The trail was mostly hard, loose granite, with rock sizes from gravel to boulders but most commonly around fist sized lumps – fairly tedious to walk on. After 5 hours my feet were a little sore and tired, but less so than when I did the same walk previously with my heavy boots with hard soles. It's true that you do feel the ground quite a lot through these shoes, but for me that is a bonus – I need to feel the ground to be sure of my footing.

The track also included seveal ice+mud slushy sections and the roclites (with gaiters) kept my feet dry and warm throughout. When climbing/scrambling up some sections, the soles provided good grip, even on some fairly slippery moss-covered rocks.

As far as fit and comfort are concerned, I ordered a half size up and they fit wonderfully – very comfortable. My foot feels supported, especially in the heel cup and I am a heel-heavy walker so that is good.

Based on other comments, I will be interested to see how durable the roclites are but based on my initial experiences, these shoes are fantastic and I'm looking forward to giving them many more hours of punishment on the trail.

Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

Locale: UK

Used these on my last backpack for a week in Scotland. Poor paths and often no paths, yet comfort all the way. Only concern would be to hot in summer due to the lining. I had no heel lift and total comfort. They are like all Inov 8 shoes, superb in comfort and performance. My feet never felt so good after a trip. I would rate them 5 out 5

Harlan Bruce

@gbruce

Locale: DFW MetroPlex

I've tried Montrail Hardrocks and a Garmont model – not sure which one, but a couple of years old and from REI – and both seem to allow my feet to get really sore by the end of a long day. Not so the 318s. While worn only on one trip so far, they did great, keeping my tootsies non-sore for four days. I have not put them through very wet conditions yet, though. One very positive thing is the traction – they stick like glue to any surface. A complaint: no wide sizes so I have to order up a half size, making the fit suboptimal.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools