Topic

North Face Impulse Hoodie

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews North Face Impulse Hoodie

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Steve M
    BPL Member

@steve-2

Locale: Eastern Washington

Pros: ½ zip, SPF 50, thumb holes (++++) allow sleeves to function as half-gloves when needed. Very comfortable, right-side hem stash pocket, flatlock seams, Antimicrobial finish reduces odor. Size Large weighs 11.8oz. Got it on sale at REI for $49.

Cons: ½ zip is less versatile than full zip otherwise can’t think of any.

Patrick Young
    BPL Member

@lightingboy

Locale: Midwest

For the money this hoodie kills the patagonia version. Used it for 3 days on the N. Rim of the Grand Canyon as my base layer and warm hat in temps from 14F-55F. The halfzip vents well and the thumb holes add versatility as half gloves. The front is more wind resistant and the rear of the arms and back are woven with a more breathable material to allow venting and wicking. I will probably modify the hood with a snap to close it more like a balaclava.
    If you find one, get it!

Alan Little

@alanl

Locale: Bavarian & Austrian Alps

I have to differ from Patrick regarding the comparison to the Patagonia R1 Hoody. Yes, both hoodies have a number of excellent features in common – hood, half zip, long cut body, long cut thumbhole sleeves. I still find them very different. The R1 is much warmer and has in my opinion a much superior cut and fit – on me the Patagonia is form fitting on the torso, and the hood has that excellent snug balaclava fit Patrick is trying to achieve with his Impulse. In both areas the Impulse is quite loose.

OTOH: I bought the Impulse and didn't buy the R1. Nice as the R1 is, I have difficulty imagining any active scenario for me where it wouldn't be too warm. Whereas the Impulse turns out to be a perfect light mid-layer for high exertion cold-weather activities. I wear it for snowboarding and winter biking, over a closer fitting baselayer and under a hooded softshell, and rarely feel the need for anything more when I'm on the move.

I find hooded shirt and shell, together with a buff and a fleece (R1) headband, make a super cosy layering system for my head that eliminates the need for a big balaclava or hat.

Pros: most of the above

Cons: cut of torso and hood a bit loose.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools