Topic

AMK/SOL Survival Poncho

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) AMK/SOL Survival Poncho

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I recently picked one of these up ($10) as I've been a fan of the Heatsheet blankets- much more durable than the chincy little silver ones you often see list as emergency blankets. I've had the Heatsheet ones out on planned overnighters and was able to reuse them (albeit repacking them to original size took a little bit, but is doable). I liked the idea of a poncho/blanket over the normal Heatsheet for a couple of reasons. The poncho design would readily let you use this on the move, in addition to a static situation. It has a hood. With some creativity (and duct tape) you could do something similar with a Heatsheet, this is easier. On the move I would probably layer this under a windshirt (I don't leave home w/o a windshirt :) ), this would prevent wind from getting under the poncho. The poncho weighs 2.7 oz on my scale w/ the little cover provided, my two person heatsheets weigh 3.2 oz. The poncho measures 50" across and 38" in length (excluding the hood), if one wanted to you could easily slit the sides and use it as a small tarp (50×76"). For static use on an unexpected night out, I plan on carrying a couple of small beeswax candles (0.9 oz/each w/ ~ 4 hours of burn time) and use it like the old Scout fire- sitting (with insulation underneath) and a candle vs a small fire. I've done this with the Heatsheets and it's effective method for staying warm. This should fit the bill for anyone wanting a little insurance on day hikes/runs and should easily fit into even the smallest of running packs. This post is a little timely as last weekend I joined the local running group for a 20-ish mile run in the Elkhorns and we had someone unknowingly get way off the trail and was forced to spend the night out without much at all except the clothes on her back. She "burrowed" into a thick Juniper and spent a very uncomfortable night out, but luckily the temps hadn't dropped as much as they did the previous couple of nights (at the start of our run all standing water was covered with a decent layer of ice). She was found the next day mid-morning. I certainly felt a lot better knowing that I had this poncho and a couple of candles in my pack, had I been the one stuck out for the night.  photo ponchoweight_zpso2qdovsu.jpg  photo amkponcho_zpshcobxx3p.jpg

Sean Holland
    Spectator

@phourgenres

why not just get one of the polycro ones that is 99 cents and weighs 1oz? At that weight you can even carry a back up. I used them throughout my thru hike. If I was snag it, Id just pick another up at the next walmart. Was very durable though.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

think more survival/emergency blanket than rain gear (although in a pinch it would work as such)

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The Heatsheets material is good stuff— that kind of polyethylene that will stretch like crazy before tearing. They should make some pack liners.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

"For static use on an unexpected night out, I plan on carrying a couple of small beeswax candles (0.9 oz/each w/ ~ 4 hours of burn time) and use it like the old Scout fire- sitting (with insulation underneath) and a candle vs a small fire. I've done this with the Heatsheets and it's effective method for staying warm. This should fit the bill for anyone wanting a little insurance on day hikes/runs and should easily fit into even the smallest of running packs." Nice. I think we discussed the poncho before but (or and) I like your suggestion of the small candle as a heat generator. I have to test that myself sometimes. Have you – if so how much does that add under space blanket material?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

"I think we discussed the poncho before but (or and) I like your suggestion of the small candle as a heat generator. I have to test that myself sometimes. Have you – if so how much does that add under space blanket material?" I have (with a heatsheet and then with a heavier "Sportmans" blanket), it's significant- while the heat extends all the way up your head, more of it is directed to your inner thighs where your femoral artery happens to be located- that's a good place to direct heat not sure if it was on youtube, but there was a video where someone had a similar setup and had a thermometer inside and one outside; I'd like to do a test like that

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Mike – that poncho looks nice … but I like the carpet even more.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

thanks- mid-century modern :)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools