Topic

Pacific Outdoor Equipment Insul Mat Hyper-Lite

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Reader Reviews Pacific Outdoor Equipment Insul Mat Hyper-Lite

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Rand Lindsly
    BPL Member

@randlindsly

Locale: Yosemite

I bought the Hyper-Lite MTN 1.5 Long…. dimensions are 20″x78″x1.5″. Took it on several trips and used it on the floor a number of times…..and can’t get it to work for me. The hourglass shape, while clever for reducing product weight, requires you to hit the top half of the hourglass with your shoulders and the bottom half with your hips to be comfortable. In the end, I guess I move around too much in my sleep to make that restriction workable for me and have moved back to a more stereotypical inflatable pad. Mabey it will work for folks that don’t move, but I lost a lot of sleep.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

This mat has worked fine for me the few times I’ve used it. However, I basically sleep as if I’m a dead man – i.e. on my back with prit’ near no movement that I’m aware of all night long – particularly if I’m exhausted after a long, hard day of trekking.

I find its hour glass shape easy to get situated on. Furthermore, the mat is very supportive and has a robust construction.

The hour glass shape allows the mat to be “cut-down” in both length and width, as well as the corners in order to reduce weight without affecting the self-inflating area of the pad. This I have done. However, since most of the “cutting” will be done from the slightly narrower foot end, the weight savings will not be quite as great as one might expect – though still worthwhile.

However, I can fully understand the position of the first poster to this Review Thread, and can “see” how its unique hourglass self-inflating shape could pose “fit” related problems for some torso sizes as well as for someone who tosses and turns throughout the night.

My only gripe is the placement of the inflation valve. It is right where someone might wish to place their head – especially if they have shortened the foot end (non-inflating portion) of the pad to reduce overall pad weight.

Even though I primarily do not use self-inflating mats, preferring the GossamerGear NightLight Torso pad, I feel that the clever design and robust construction warrants a 4 – at least for those users who find it a good “fit” both for their bodies and style of sleeping.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘Reader Reviews’ is closed to new topics and replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools