Topic

Fitting for the top of a trekking pole for increased tarp shelter stability

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Fitting for the top of a trekking pole for increased tarp shelter stability

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

Hello. I'm envisioning something that fits on top of a trekking pole that can have an unlimited number of lines tied to it that would be staked out from the center of the shelter at the camper's discretion. Once you stake out the lines the way you want, you would throw your presumably flat tarp over it and stake it out the best you could. The presence of the ropes underneath would add stiffness to the structure that is generally lacking in silnylon structures. This would also help to solve the issue of flat tarps having their highest part at the entrance instead of where people actually need headroom. The fitting would need to have a top surface that would not abrade silnylon fabric. Here is a napkin drawing of what I'm talking about: fitting Any ideas? Is anything like this made or sold?

BC Bob
    Spectator

@bcbob

Locale: Vancouver Island

Perhaps Tarptent Trekking pole handle adapters.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Hi, I don't think those TT pockets will work. I'll post something later on.

Jorge Villalobos
    BPL Member

@minusfive

Kind of like ZPacks' Trekking Pole Cups, but with more tie-outs?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

OK I have had breakfast now. The Z Pack type cup will work however it can also be done with just cordage and knots. This is what popped into my head reading the first post. Get two or three pieces of guyline of the same size *. Make a sliding knot at each end and secure to the pole head with a Pile Hitch . Most pole handles will have an indentation to keep the knot there . free pole 1 Then simply stake one end down, walk towards the opposite corner holding the pole upright, when the cord is in tension grab the other half of that cord and stake that down. (easier to do with two people but I can manage by myself by giving a tap to the pole handle so that the tip sticks into the ground…) Now do the same with the pre-installed other one or two cords. Will look something like this : Free standing pole 2 * 2 lines = square/rectangular pyramid 3 lines = hexagonal pyramid Work on reverse to determine the cord length. So first set the pole up at the height you want, then measure how much cordage you need including knots. BTW, for those that find it difficult eye balling the stake to stake distance, this may help. Again working backwards, first you set it up however you can then remove the pole and bunch up the slack on the guylines. Make a mark there (with a marker) or a simple knot. Guyline slack keep doing that every time you take the shelter apart (or get good at eye balling it)

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Wow, I must be dense. I understand neither the problem nor the solution. :-) HOWEVER, I got a package from Canada in the mail today and perhaps will find out soon, Jorge, lol!!

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

I think abrasion will be the rule for this type of setup, no way around it. There will always be some movement of the fabric against the lines. The top of the tarp, against the top of the pole, could be reinforced with heavy material. Best to have the guy lines be the tarp itself. Steve

Buck Nelson
    BPL Member

@colter

Locale: Alaska

"Best to have the guy lines be the tarp itself." Yup, flapping of loose material and abrasion will be problems otherwise.

Jorge Villalobos
    BPL Member

@minusfive

Bob: Glad she's safely in your hands now. I miss her, take good care of her ;)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools