Topic

Borah Gear Side zip bivy vs MLD Superlight bivy vs Katabatic Gear Bristlecone Bivy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Borah Gear Side zip bivy vs MLD Superlight bivy vs Katabatic Gear Bristlecone Bivy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    HeathP
    BPL Member

@hpoulter

Can someone break down the differences between the MLD Superlight bivy, the Borah Gear side zip bivy and the Katabatic gear bristlecone bivy? Why are the MLD and Katabatic gear so much more expensive than the Borah? I don't know a lot about fabrics and this part is all Greek to me. Is one of these better than the others? If so why and in what conditions? I live in the Southwest and plan on using this during winter months in the desert instead of bringing a shelter as there is ZERO chance of it raining for the most part yet we still have quite an active poisonous bug population(Went backpacking in February this year and found a lot of scorpions near my tent).

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

I can only comment with personal experience on two of those. I have an 2009 silnylon bottom MLD Superbivy with the halfmoon window that is still in excellent shape and a 2 year old Borah Gear side zip cuben fiber floor bivy with the all head netting that is currently my goto bivy in summer (cooler and lighter). Both are good bivies, but I feel the MLD is better made and it has a bathtube like floor verses just being a top sewn to a bottom. Both work for their intended function. Every product I've bought from MLD, the weight has been spot on. The Borah Gear bivy had some variance from the listed weight. If weight was the same, I'd favor buying MLD as a personal preference. I went with Borah Gear for the last bivy because they were lighter at the time. MLD is better at getting back to your emails, but Borah will eventually respond. You likely wouldn't go wrong with whoever you buy from, it just depends on what you want.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I Use borah gear bug bivies in warmer weather and katabatic bristlecone bivy in colder weather. Love both of them. I also love all of my gear from MLD..but have not used his bivy because I am so set with the others that I currently use. You can't go wrong with either of them..believe me.

HeathP
    BPL Member

@hpoulter

Can you define Cold weather. Cold weather in the desert is 20-40's in the winter. I might be using a bivy for a climbing trip in November. We are planning on cowboy camping at the top of this peak/spire at 7,700ft. MLD definitely has solid stuff and I heard so does Katabatic. I have not seen a lot of info on Borah Gear before.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I guess cold weather for me is below 30 actually. I am a furnace.. However…I use my katabatic bivy in to the 40s..depends if it's gonna rain or not also.. I also use a quilt, so it helps with draft and adds a smidgen of warmth to my sleep system.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Katabatic gear bristlecone bivybristlecone bivyborah gear bug bivyBorah gear custom duo bug bivy

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

The first 2 pictures are the Katabatic bristlecone bivy.. The middle one is borah gear bug bivy Ths last one is my custom borah gear duo bug bivy. Again..I am not saying any one is better then the other (MLD included), I am just speaking of what I use and saying that I am happy with these and will continue to use them. Also with both my borah gear bivies I had a custom 2 way zipper installed across the chest and down both sides.

HeathP
    BPL Member

@hpoulter

Thanks for the pics, looks beautiful. Where are they taken? The Borah Gear bivy is on Mass drop for $62.99 I think I am going to jump on it.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

The first 2 are on the West Rim trail in PA..last October The middle one of bug bivy was a few weeks ago in Harriman State park, NY..on the timp. The picture of the duo bivy was also a few weeks ago at Pine Meadow Lake in Harriman NY. Keep in mind that I am referring to Borah gear BUG bivy. That's what is pictured also. I have never used or seen their regular bivy, but I am sure it is just as good. And hey..that price is right on. You could always sell it if you decide you don't like it or want to try something different.

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

This is a big issue. You need to figure out what size pad and sleeping bag/quilt you'll be using in order to make sure the bivy is large enough in circumference to accommodate these items without compressing your insulation. The large Katabatic bivy is much larger than the equivalent MLD, although I'm sure MLD can make you a custom size.

HeathP
    BPL Member

@hpoulter

I use a torso length pad at the moment and an EE Revelation. It should fit fine in either.

Turley
    BPL Member

@turley

Locale: So Cal

Titanium Goat makes a high quality bivy(s) at a reasonable price point. I went with the TiGoat Bug Net Bivy over the Borah version because it has a higher bathtub floor. I've used both the TiGoat Ptarmigan and MLD SL (both with full head nets) and though both very well made and fully functional, would give the slight edge to MLD. Additionally, Rota Locura makes a very lightweight bivy too.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!