Topic

Best sized pot for Sidewinder ti-tri?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best sized pot for Sidewinder ti-tri?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Pete M
    BPL Member

@munro21

I'm looking at getting a Sidewinder cone system, with inferno insert etc, but as it's pot-specific I'm trying to decide on the best sized pot. I hike both solo and with my gf equally, and would like to be able to use the Sidewinder in both situations. So I could choose something like an Evernew 1300ml pot/cone and use that. Or I'm wondering if it's possible to use a different pot according to the circumstances? For instance, if I go with the above 1300ml pot/cone, is there a way of using a smaller solo pot, such as a 750 or 900ml pot, on the same cone? Or the other way around: get a 900ml pot/cone system and then figure out a way of using a 1300 pot on the same cone when there's two of us.
    Let me know your thoughts – have any of you tried something similar? I can't afford to buy two Sidewinders, so what do you do in different scenarios? And ideally, I'd like to be able to use the wood-burner option with whichever sized pot. Thanks!

monkey
    Spectator

@monkeysee

Locale: Up a tree

1.3L for two people and two small/medium dogs, need to boil second time to make teas. Same pot for one person and two dogs, one boil takes care of tea as well. But it also depends what sort of food you are cooking, eg our dogs eat natural dinners not kibble so more water is needed.

Jacob Smith
    BPL Member

@wrongturn

Locale: The Soda

Cones are sized exactly for the pots. The 900 or 1300 is good for 2 people. I have the 600 Evernew for solo trips.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

When using the Inferno insert, the additional inverted cone combined with the skewer pot supports make the whole structure rigid enough that you would likely be able to use a smaller pot in wood-burning mode. I say "likely" because I have never actually used mine with a smaller pot, but I think it would work.

Although there will of course be some loss of efficiency (definitely mucking up the whole "gassifier" concept), it's not a huge problem when fuel is unlimited.

Also, it won't store as compactly because the rolled-up cones won't fit inside a smaller pot.

Pete M
    BPL Member

@munro21

Yes, seems it may be more possible to make a 900ml pot work on the 1300ml-sized cone, rather than putting the 1300 pot on top of the 900ml sized cone. But does sort of defeat the object of getting a Sidewinder if half the time I'm not using it as intended. Shame Trail Designs can't come up with an adjustable cone that would fit a number of different pots.
    Also, it's easy enough to cook for one in the 1300ml pot, maybe not so easy to cook for two in the 900ml. Do any of you cook for two in a 900ml – and if so, what do you mean by 'cooking'?

monkey
    Spectator

@monkeysee

Locale: Up a tree

"maybe not so easy to cook for two in the 900ml"

Is not this question fully depends on *what* the person is cooking, and so best answered personally? I.e: do you know what food you'll be bringing on hikes -> do you know how much water requires to cook a portion of it -> when you multiply that water on 2, is it going to fit in the 900ml pot?

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Consider this, if you get the 1.3 l system, it will not pack down and fit into the 0.9 l pot. Food for thought.

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

Toaks has a 900 & a 1300 with the same diameter. You could get the 1300 cone and raise the burner when using the 900. Not as efficient but much more cost effective.

http://toaksoutdoor.com/130mmPots.aspx

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

This sounds like a good solution, but I wonder if TD has yet come out with a 130mm-compaitble cone. I have the Toaks 1350ml with 145mm diameter, which is the only Toaks set-up currently listed on the TD website. And the 1100ml which is 115mm.

Maybe one of the Evernew-compatible cones has the required 130mm diameter. But I'd definitely do some more investigation before ordering.

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

> I have the Toaks 1350ml with 145mm diameter, which is the only Toaks set-up currently listed on the TD website. And the 1100ml which is 115mm.

Huh, didn't realize this. Trail Designs would probably make a custom cone.

I've had fun making a few cones myself. Learned a few things about them while I was at it.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Luv the Zen website!

When you roll your own, you can make anything you like, eh? :^) In the little dabbling I've done, joining the ends is the tricky part.

Wouldn't be surprised to learn TD's working on a combo for this Toaks set just in time for the holidays.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools