Topic

HMG: 3400

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) HMG: 3400

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    eric schultz
    BPL Member

@schultz104

Locale: phoenix

I bought a HMG 3400 windrider pack. The pack preforms great. My only complaint is the hip belt pockets. I have looked at Zpacks, Gossamer Gear and Zimmerbuilt pockets. I think the gossamer gear pockets would fit the best. Does anybody have a suggestion on what pockets would work best to put over the top of the pockets on the pack?
    Thanks
    Eric

[ Drew ]
    BPL Member

@43ten

Locale: Central Valley CA

I have a similar HMG pack and came to the same conclusion about the belt pockets. I just bought a zpacks belt pocket in dyneema, partially because I wanted to compare it with the cuben ones I had, and partially because I wanted it to match (haha) the dyneema of the HMG pack, which it does perfectly.

The standard zpacks attachment method doesn't quite work with the HMG belt, so I'll probably use some shock cord instead of the mini cord locks with the tiny cord (??) routed through them. The elastic band on the back of the pocket works fine, though. I'll get some pics up soon.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I felt the same way about the tiny pockets of my 3400 Southwest pack. I contacted HMG about this, and how so many of us thought they needed to put larger pockets on their hip belts. His response was that they would then need to completely redesign the hip belt to accommodate this (what?). I went with Gossamer Gear's pockets, size small I think. I just use one, to hold my small camera. I needed to secure it the bottom of the shoulder strap to keep it from trying to escape, but this works well now. The other side can be a small HMG pocket, to hold my DEET, hand sanitizer, and Chapstick, which I seldom need to access while the pack is on.

eric schultz
    BPL Member

@schultz104

Drew,
    I look forward to the pics
    Thanks
    Eric

Khoa Tran
    Spectator

@khoahtran

Locale: SOCAL

I have an ice pack with the pocketless hipbelt, i was able to attach zimmerbuilt pockets and they work great because of the amount of attachment points on the pockets. The straps on the back and the clips on each side, i tried the gossamer pocket before this config and they didn't work at all. I'll post pictures this evening.

eric schultz
    BPL Member

@schultz104

Khoa,
    Thanks
    Eric

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

Yeah, HMG pockets are pretty anemic.

Chapstick? Fine.

Map? Folded up small- fine.

Granola bar- slight struggle but workable.

Compact camera…? Forget it.

Just order your pack without HMG pockets. Most aftermarket pockets will require modifications. I like to sew velcro straps to the back of my pockets and thread those behind the Molle or other attachment points on the pack's hipbelt. My next ones will probably be Zpacks Dyneema (which I know I will have to do some sewing on), though my past modifications of Granite Gear pockets worked well. GG's stock attachment system is kinda weak.

[ Drew ]
    BPL Member

@43ten

As a Sunday evening micro-project I decided to quickly and simply attach this zpacks dyneema hipbelt pocket and get some photos as promised. I used some black shock cord I had to make a couple loops, one on either side of the flat shock cord that is sewn to the middle of the pocket by zpacks:

Front of pocket
    hmgpocket1

Back of pocket – I looped the shockcord through the same loops where the cordlock thingies are
    hmgpocket112

Here's the pocket slipped over the hipbelt for easy removal as well in case the weather gets bad (my camera and photo will be in here primarily)
    hmgpocket13

The pocket is quite generous with respect to volume. This is a Sony a6000, which is a very large compact camera (oxymoron?)/medium sized mirrorless
    hmgpocket14

Standard HMG pocket on the right side. This could be a much better pocket if it was stretch woven or just simply bigger. It's really only good for a few small items. I can juuuust squeeze my iphone 6+ in, but it might bend..
    hmgpocket15

Here's the pocket with the a6000 inside. Seems to hold well and doesn't twist or sag due to not being sewn on the hipbelt. Still plenty of room for a wallet, phone, or several smaller items.
    hmgpocket16

Lastly, the pocket empty. The standard pocket is behind the zpacks one, and could be used for a wallet or something that doesn't need to be accessed often, but still needs to be packed; perhaps car keys, photo ID, money, repair kit, etc.
    hmgpocket17

Hope this helps out! The zpacks pocket is VERY well made from what I can tell, has a PU coating inside, and is taped over any sewn on items, so it should be very very water resistant. If you get an HMG pack, it will match perfectly as it looks identical to the HMG x grid dyneema.

Derek Weeks
    BPL Member

@lighting12

I have the same backpack from HMG and found the pockets were way to small, so I cut them off and used Zpacks pockets. I love how big Zpacks hipbelt pockets are and they work great and no modification needed other than cutting the pockets off.

[ Drew ]
    BPL Member

@43ten

"I have the same backpack from HMG and found the pockets were way to small, so I cut them off and used Zpacks pockets. I love how big Zpacks hipbelt pockets are and they work great and no modification needed other than cutting the pockets off."

I thought about cutting them off, but IMO it doesn't make sense for an HMG pack. You're only saving a few grams by doing that and possibly hurting resale, and HMG stuff isn't really SUL. They're really nice pockets, just too small for my camera.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools