Topic

lightest camp shoes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) lightest camp shoes

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 185 total)
  • Author
    Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Locale: Georgia, USA

I found this Indigogo campaign for “3D Knitted Shoes”, via Gearjunkie. They say the weight is 130g/4.6oz for one shoe (size not mentioned). Not the lightest of the options mentioned here, but perhaps interesting nonetheless.

chris s
    BPL Member

@riceonsuede

I picked up a pair of those dawgs in size 11/12. They weigh 12oz for the pair. I took one of the shoes and cut off most of the upper, turning them into a sandal/slide. Then on that bit of upper I left, I drilled holes all over, leaving very little material on the upper. It only took 1oz off the shoe. They still weigh over half a pound, despite me practically cutting off the entire upper. Tried the same thing with a cheap pair of walmart knockoff crocs with the same results. Guess all of the weight is in the sole.

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Locale: Georgia, USA

Anybody ever use the Montbell Climaplus 100 compact travel shoes? I emailed their customer service two questions, though I haven’t heard back from them yet:

1. Is the 2.4 oz weight per shoe, or per pair, and what size is that weight for?
    2. What’s the sizing chart? Their site does have a sizing chart, but shoes are not on it. Perhaps the sock sizing chart applies.

I also wonder, but did not ask, what is the sole of the shoe like. The site states “synthetic leather,” but I’m left wondering how durable it is, and how much grip it provides. I don’t expect much in either category, but want to know it’s suitable for walking around camp.

They also have a similar model with a longer ankle cuff, Climaplus 100 Camp Shoes, with a listed weight of 3.2 oz.

I get the impression these are more like slippers, and wouldn’t be good on wet ground, but it was that they called one model “camp shoes” that got me looking at them. Is that name truly deserved?

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

It only took 1oz off the shoe. They still weigh over half a pound, despite me practically cutting off the entire upper. Tried the same thing with a cheap pair of walmart knockoff crocs with the same results. Guess all of the weight is in the sole. – Chris S

Thanks for reporting on that!  That has been my take away from this thread in general.  The lightweight options don’t really provide any protection to the soles of your feet.  Anything with a decent sole is pretty heavy.  Ergo.. the weight is in the sole.  I bought a pair of dogs too.  I ended up buying 12/13 because they run narrow.  They are not significantly lighter than my size 11 crocs which run nice and wide.

TX14
    Spectator

@tx14

If you remove your insole and lash it securely to your foot using cord you are already carrying such as a shoelace, tent guy, bag drawstring, etc, you can have your cake and eat it too – separate hiking shoes/trail runners and camp shoes. Also handy for water crossings. Removing your insoles when camped also helps to promote the main shoes’ drying time by improving circulation. Negative weight camp shoes (relative to the trail runner’s previous weight) are possible if you remove insole material to perforate the insoles to thread on the cord for a more secure fit. Can be quite comfortable if rigged correctly and a good make-d   sandal alternative on flooded trail sections. Just make sure you wipe off and clean insoles before re-inserting into shoe and that insoles are not expensive aftermarket orthopedic affairs.

chris s
    BPL Member

@riceonsuede

I’m starting to get that too, anything under a half pound is lacking of structure and durability. The 3.6oz foam sandals I posted earlier seem to be the best option under a 1/4lb. I ordered a pair of those new ripstop tevas. If they’re under a 8oz I may just go with them, or go with nothing and wear them canoeing. I have those xero trail sandals, but they’re almost 13oz in size 12.

I did order these http://www.ebay.com/itm/201814831351?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They’re not too shabby, fit my big feet with thick socks, and weigh 2.5oz for the pair. Made of nylon and has a decent sole. The trouble I see like the foam ones are walking around in the woods with them I just don’t see working.

I’m thinking it’s either half pound sandals, or nothing, or something that I don’t want to walk around on the rocky PA/NJ/NY trails.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Post here is noted on the main forum page, but has mysteriously disappeared. Last time this happened, the post just as mysteriously reappeared, so will wait a while and repost if nothing shows up. Thanks.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Shown below are the Dawgs on the left, modified EVA Sports sandals on the right, and Akonas neoprene anklets above:

All weights given are per pair. The size ’10-11′ Dawgs weigh 8.925 oz, and the EVA-soled sandals from Walmart, modified to add heel straps and buckles to keep them from slipping off in rocky streambeds, weigh 5.8 oz. The neoprene anklets weigh 2.31 oz.

When crossing streams in mountain weather, rushing water will quickly numb the feet, and besides being painful, increase the danger of a spill, especially when a 30# dog is under one arm balanced by a trekking pole in the other hand. Spills will be even more likely this year with the record snows and raging streams in the spring and early summer. So the protective neoprene anklets are deemed essential for fording most of the time, no matter what sandals or watershoes are used.

The weight of the modified sandals with the neoprene anklets is 8.1 oz. These sandals are labeled for the Red Sox, but other posts on this thread show the same ones are marketed with NFL and Cowboys labels. They have the lightest thick EVA soles I could find in the outlets and big-box stores. But the hiking shoes, Keen WPB mids, are comfy and more protective, so are worn in camp.

The weight of the Dawgs with the neoprene anklets added is 11.235 oz, just over 3 oz more than the modified sandals. I’ve used the sandals for stream crossings several times with no problem, but never in raging water. With conditions expected this year, the Dawgs will be used because they are more protective with the full upper, and fit more securely with the velcro strap and heel cup.

The Dawgs also are made of a smooth finish flexible plastic, so can be wiped dry and used over hiking sox in camp. The soles are thick, not as much as the EVAs, but are denser, and should block sharp rocks and debris in streams. The only concerns are durability and grip, which will have to be tested.

Most European boots crowd and injure my toes, so I use the Keens for the wider forefoot. Still, some have reported that the Dawgs are too narrow in the forefoot; so they are not for everyone. But if they hold up, and do not tend to slip, I’ll use them over the EVAs, and eat the 3 oz. With the low price, they can readily be replaced.

Ty M
    BPL Member

@tylercmac

I went with the Dawgs (seems to be the trend of this thread) and went ahead and made a few cut backs on them, experimenting.

I made a few “vents” in the front, and scandalously cut off the velcro straps. These 13’s were about 5.09 oz. each before changes, and after, down to 4.75 oz. Not too dramatic, but hey, they’re cheap right, so what’s the harm in getting surgical? The hope is that the modifications were not too compromising on the durability. If the tongue becomes too loose, I may add a strip of gorilla tape/glue for stability.

Like the post above explains, these will be helpful in the more abundant stream crossings this year, where flip flops, although lighter, will not be able to do. So, ideally, these Dawgs can serve as river crossers AND camp shoes, adding “only” around 9.5 oz. to my base weight.

Albert M
    Spectator

@borovets

Put me in the “lightest camp shoe is no camp shoe” contingent.  I used to always bring camp shoes, for stream crossings mainly.  Now that I almost solely hike with trail runners I stopped carrying camp shoes.  I just couldn’t justify the weight and bulk.  At stream crossings I remove my socks and insoles and the shells dry pretty quickly when I start hiking again.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

For those that use a different pair of shoes for river crossings, how concerned are you about toe protection? I used Mizuno racing flats for camp shoes/river crossings when I did the Timberline Trail.  Rivers are glacial fed, and running fast, with pretty rocky bottoms and often no logs or obvious stepping stones.  I found that as I picked my way across, it was hard to place my feet without getting toes pinched between rocks.  The was my first time finding crossings without logs or obvious fords, and I may not have picked the best locations.  It made me wary of sandals as crossing shoes, though.

Several people have mentioned pulling out insoles, taking off socks, and crossing in their hiking shoes.  Do you put your socks and insoles back right away, or do you hike as is until dry?  In the PNW, it would take quite a while for everything to dry, even with mesh shoes.

Thomas E
    Spectator

@nimrad

Locale: Norway

Just came across this indiegogo campain. Looks quite interesting:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/skinners-revolutionary-ultraportable-footwear-shoes-design#/

Weighs 80 grams (2,8 ounces). Not sure if that’s for a pair or for only one sock though.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

Those look pretty interesting.  Liking my Dawgs but always looking for something lighter and/or more packable.  May try some truck bed liner on socks after seeing these.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

I wouldn’t bother with the Skinners.  They are just socks with chunky rubber stuff on the bottom.  The “shoes” are very long and narrow, rather tight on my feet.  They are ok for walking around camp, but for water shoes, there is no protection for toes getting crammed between rocks, or stubbing your feet on rocks or sticks.  The video looks impressive jumping up and down on Legos, but I don’t feel that they really have enough protection to be called “shoes”.  For the size that it said I should purchase, there is about an inch of floppy toe sticking out beyond my toes, and they shed rubber chunks all over my house.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

PS–The Skinners are not very warm, and they are too tight to wear socks underneath.

Hanz B
    BPL Member

@tundra-thrasher-ouch-man-2

I noticed a few folks interested in dawgs but the weights are around 9-12 oz. I just want to again suggest the aleader Mens quick drying shoe (amazon) 20$, 7.8 oz for the pair at size 10.5 without inserts, dry in an hour, and have lasted me a year of on and off hiking. Good traction, spacer holes in the soles drain water, and I believe the mesh netting used on most of our packs. They were just fine for denali’s multiple crossings in glacier water and are comfortable enough to keep hiking in them for a few miles.

For lighter weight I have success with a neoprene 2mm neosport mid sock and yaktracks insulated sole insert (4oz for the pair). These can be used to river cross (the yaktrek insulated sole is very durable but doesn’t dry too fast) or as a camp shoe. While the sock doubles as vapor proof barrier when needed and warm the feet very quickly. Downside is the smell – these will small the worst of anything in your bag after moderate use. Picture below.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Thanks to Diane Pinkers for the first-hand feedback.

As far as footwear with a soft shell goes, still find that neoprene offerings from the skin diving industry, are ideal. Different companies offer a variety of soles, with weight depending on how beefy the soles are.

The dawgs have a harder but flexible shell, and with neoprene anklet liners, have a shot at no. 1. Just need more info on how they hold up, which will come eventually. The run-out in NE USA is just beginning.

Note: As far a primary footwear goes, switched from the Keens back to Salomon Authentics, now that the latter come with GTX liners replacing the “Climashield Waterproof,” ones that invariably leaked badly in anything more than a drizzle.

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

https://shammasandals.com/

They have some that weigh 3ozs per sandal

Stu M
    Spectator

@stu-minnis

Russ,

Do you know the exact model of the Mizuno shoes you referenced? When I google “Mizuno 5” I get a ton of links for different conventional running shoes.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Yeah those Mizuno’s look nice–wait, actually they look awful but who cares? I’m assuming 3.2 ounces is per shoe. These would be better for stream crossings than the pool shoes that I like (2 ounces for a pair). This year in the Sierra crossings will be a concern. But for around camp, and most stream crossings–a bit over 2 ounces for a mesh top that keeps your foot nicely attached to a thin sole works fine. Anything over a half a pound seems too much for me.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Jeffrey that is correct on the weight, it gives the weight in the article and on the next page of that thread I wrote

Yes Jim, the Mizuno’s are 6.4oz for the pair, my women’s come in at 2.2oz or 4.4oz per pair

I am not concerned about the look more about utility.

Christopher C
    BPL Member

@cscornette

The Vivobarefoot Ultra Pure has been nearly impossible to find for a while.  I did just find a site that has a decent selection of sizes in red, white, and black.  Frontgate.com

I’m also going to try out the Furushiki yoga shoes with Vibram soles.  They look very promising for weight, breathability, and packability, but should still be very durable with Vibram underfoot.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I have some cheap walmart foam flip lops that weigh 4 ounces for the pair. Cost $6. I find flip flops to be a great comfort item for trips where I am constantly getting my feet wet from stream crossings (like early season mountain hiking) or if I am packrafting. Being able to take off your wet, nasty, sandy, muddy shoes and put on some flips is soooo nice.

If I am in a cold rainy environment I skip the flip flops and do dry socks under goretex socks for camp use.

Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Locale: Louisiana, USA

Vivobarefoot Ultra III’s are the “rebirth” of the Ultra Pure’s that are available now for $75 from the Vivobarefoot.com website. Oddly enough there is very little about them on their website.  All they say is this:  “The Ultra 3 is a water-resistant movement shoe for adventures on land and sea. After a year in production, the newly refined Ultra has an improved outsole which is adapted to thrive on wet and wild terrains.”  The Frontgate.com website, which sells them for $95, lists them at 3.5 ounces (each I presume and for what size?).  I have a well worn and loved pair of the original Ultra Pure in men’s size 10 (43) that weigh 4.3 oz each.

I have ordered a pair and will let you know what they weigh and what I think after I receive them.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 185 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools